Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Phone syncing photos (don’t want it!)

Suddenly my IPhone X photos are showing up in my IPhone 6 (which has limited space.)

I want to “un-sync” this option without losing the photos on either iPhone 10, 6 or iCloud. It’s fine if iPhone X photos are deleted from iPhone 6, BUT NOT on iCloud.

I noticed if I delete a photo, it deletes from all. I want each device have its own identity, yet all photos and data is stored in the iCloud.

Suggestions?

iPhone X, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 20, 2019 8:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2019 12:17 PM

can provide step by step solution ?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203977

If you follow ChrisJ4203's advice on BOTH devices, no syncing will happen and both devices will back up your photos to iCloud independently of each other. No photos will be stored in the iCloud Photo Library with this choice. They be in another location on iCloud and not directly viewable other than on your phone(s).

However, if you do this and have the same Apple ID on each phone, they will BOTH use your iCloud storage which may mean upgrading/purchasing more iCloud storage.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2019 12:17 PM in response to amna272

can provide step by step solution ?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203977

If you follow ChrisJ4203's advice on BOTH devices, no syncing will happen and both devices will back up your photos to iCloud independently of each other. No photos will be stored in the iCloud Photo Library with this choice. They be in another location on iCloud and not directly viewable other than on your phone(s).

However, if you do this and have the same Apple ID on each phone, they will BOTH use your iCloud storage which may mean upgrading/purchasing more iCloud storage.

Jul 20, 2019 9:00 AM in response to amna272

Turn off Photos in iCloud on the iPhone 6.

However, if you wish to be using iCloud photos, then they are going to sync to all devices signed into the same iCloud account. Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

You can minimize the amount of space used by using the information in the link I provided regarding Saving space, but deleting anything on any of the devices that are synced to iCloud Photos will delete them everywhere.

Jul 20, 2019 12:06 PM in response to LACAllen

Thanks for further explaining.

What then would be the solution to back up both iPhone photos on iCloud without each phone photos syncing in both devices?

It happened suddenly on its own (I believe after an update install). I want both photos backed up on iCloud but not on each other’s devices.

Anyone can provide step by step solution ?

Thank you!

Phone syncing photos (don’t want it!)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.