Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trim icloud Notes storage?

At 5 G Notes is taking up too much storage space on my iphone 5. I have tried to delete many notes and attachments via my Mac but the icloud storage size does not seem to be diminishing. Suggestions?

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 20, 2019 6:16 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jul 21, 2019 12:07 PM in response to swelters

Hello, swelters.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that you'd like to delete content from the Notes app to make more space, but have been running into difficulty.

When you deleted the notes, did you then remove them from the Recently Deleted folder? Deleted notes are kept in the Recently Deleted folder for up to 30 days. After that time, those notes are permanently deleted (and that may take up to 40 days).

Delete a note on Mac - Apple Support

Are there any other ways you can make more space? Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

I hope this helps! Take care.

Jul 22, 2019 6:36 AM in response to swelters

Thanks for providing additional details!

When you delete anything from the Recently Deleted folder, it becomes permanently deleted. The 30-40 days only applies to notes left in the Recently Deleted folder.

To confirm, if you go to System Preferences > iCloud > Manage, the Notes app is taking up 5GB of data, correct? I ask because the Manage tab is the easiest way to confirm the exact amount of space an app uses in iCloud. Set up iCloud on your Mac - Apple Support

I suggest going to iCloud.com to see if any of the notes you previously deleted are still on the server. If they are, try deleting them there. iCloud: What is iCloud Notes?

Let us know! Cheers.

Jul 22, 2019 3:19 AM in response to chuck_3rd

Thank you for the reply. I removed all from the Recently Deleted folder on my Mac and also some other older notes. Waited a day or so. I cannot access such a detailed hierarchical file tree by logging into icloud notes, but the overall storage there for notes remains stubbornly at 5 GB which is too much for my iphone so I have no access to Notes on the phone. You mean it will take weeks for the icloud to reduce the file size? This seems like a real drawback to Notes.

Trim icloud Notes storage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.