Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VERY high memory consumption in Logic 10.4.6 when trimming audio regions

Running Logic 10.4.6 on High Sierra (2011 MacBook Pro 17-inch 2.2 GHz, 16 GB RAM), my Logic sessions consume VERY HIGH amounts of memory (> 50 GB). This seems to be related to editing (cutting and trimming) audio regions.

For example, when I trim a single audio region (randomly, at the beginning or at the end), Logic's memory consumption increases instantly by 600 MB (!). Splitting a single region takes 250 MB. After an hour of editing, the total amount of memory easily exceeds 50 GB.

This seriously affects the overall performance of Logic. Also, the trimming itself takes much longer (> 1 sec) than it used to in previous versions of Logic.

---

Some additional information:

The high memory consumption results in high amounts of swapping and disk I/O, and Logic slows down. The memory seems to be 'leaky' as in it is NOT freed when I close the project. I have to restart the entire application in order to free the memory.

The project in question is quite large (30 tracks x 6 hours of audio, 1 Flex pitch track), but in happens with smaller projects as well.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 20, 2019 7:06 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Jul 24, 2019 3:08 PM in response to Pancenter

I think I cannot downgrade at this point, can I? But I did not notice this slowdown before and therefore think that it did not happen with previous versions of Logic. So I am not entirely sure that the problem was caused by the update. Also, I cannot reproduce the error with a newly created project on 10.4.6. The projects in question were created with previous versions and now cause these memory leak problems.

BTW the project contains 16.000 audio regions from 150 audio files on 30 tracks.

VERY high memory consumption in Logic 10.4.6 when trimming audio regions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.