Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safe Finder Virus

Hi there, having trouble removing the Safe Finder virus from my mac. Its hijacked my browser (Chrome) and no matter what I've tried, I cannot stop it from redirecting everytime I open a window or tab. I can't tell what it's doing in the background so I'm pretty worried.

So far I've tried:

1. Deleting all associated files and emptying trash folder

2. Changing my set pages back to google (safefinder wasnt even on the list)

3. Looking for an extension to delete (again not listed)

4. Resetting Chrome settings

5. Looking for safefinder in bookmarks (not there)

6. Blocking safefinderformac.com and other variations

7. Running Malwarebytes and Avast anti virus software multiple times and deleting anything found and quarantined

8. Going through finder to look in Library files

...possibly more, it seems like I've tried every single suggestion I've found online and I'm pretty desperate to resolve this. At this point I dont even know how its possible for it still be getting through. Any advice would be massively appreciated!

Note: if it helps to know I'm using Sierra OS

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.12

Posted on Jul 21, 2019 9:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2019 9:25 AM

Uninstall Avast as per the developer's instructions. No Anti-Virus software or so-called “cleaning” apps are needed or recommended for Mac OS. They can conflict with Mac's own built-in security. At best they will slow your Mac by using unnecessary resources and at worst will bork your entire system.

Malwarebytes should work. Contact Malwarebytes support. they are very responsive.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2019 9:25 AM in response to KattB182

Uninstall Avast as per the developer's instructions. No Anti-Virus software or so-called “cleaning” apps are needed or recommended for Mac OS. They can conflict with Mac's own built-in security. At best they will slow your Mac by using unnecessary resources and at worst will bork your entire system.

Malwarebytes should work. Contact Malwarebytes support. they are very responsive.

Safe Finder Virus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.