Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New NVMe drive is slow on thunderbolt 3

I decided to test my new NVMe drive speed and was astonished how slow it was 42mb/s. I tried a different cable same result. So then I tested the same drive with a thunderbolt 3 to USB adapter and it was 400+ mb/s. This is a 2019 iMac with i9. Anyone know what might be going on?

Posted on Jul 21, 2019 11:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2019 12:53 PM

Are you sure the drive is Thunderbolt 3 (lightning bolt icon on the connector), not just USB-C. If you use a Thunderbolt 3 cable with a non-Thunderbolt USB-C device, it may run at USB 2.0 speeds, which would explain your 42MB/s.

If the connector has no lightning bolt icon, use a USB-C 10Gb/s cable, not Thunderbolt 3. For short cables (0.5 m) they are the same, but not for longer cables.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2019 12:53 PM in response to david from milwaukie

Are you sure the drive is Thunderbolt 3 (lightning bolt icon on the connector), not just USB-C. If you use a Thunderbolt 3 cable with a non-Thunderbolt USB-C device, it may run at USB 2.0 speeds, which would explain your 42MB/s.

If the connector has no lightning bolt icon, use a USB-C 10Gb/s cable, not Thunderbolt 3. For short cables (0.5 m) they are the same, but not for longer cables.

New NVMe drive is slow on thunderbolt 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.