Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not able to get thunderbolt 3 speed

I have a 2017 iMac 27" and bought a nvm-e (Samsung 970e Pro) put it in a Sabrent enclosure, to use as an external drive. The speeds of the nvm-e are supposed to be in the order of 5GB/s. The TB3 is 40GB/s max, so I figured it would be blazing fast. NOPE, getting speeds of 4 -15MB/s

This is installing from 'Downloads' to 'Applications', and actually took 10 min or more. I am not sure why, the device is being identified as USB 2, when I go to my system report, I clearly have TB3

What is going on? Do I need to update a driver? OR is the Sabrent enclosure not work with the iMac? I tested the Sabrent on my Macbook Pro, was getting 800MB/s or better. So there is some issue with the iMac, just not clear what I have done wrong - OR what I need to do to correct this.

Appreciate any help, thank you.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 1, 2022 2:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2022 6:49 PM

Not sure why, but it should work as fast on the iMac as the MacBook Pro.

I would try restarting the iMac SMC and then reconnect the Sabrent enclosure.

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

If that doesn't help, https://www.sabrent.com/support/ would be my next stop.

Similar questions

3 replies

May 1, 2022 6:05 PM in response to den.thed

@den.thed, thank you for the reply. The model is the Sabrent EC-SNVE and I tested both TB3 ports, USB3.1 ports too. Also tried multiple cables with the same results on the iMac.

The test with the enclosure / nvm-e with my Macbook Pro, the speed was 800MB/s +, so I must be doing something wrong on the iMac. Thinking firmware or an update is needed?? IDK.

Appreciate your time/help

Not able to get thunderbolt 3 speed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.