Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting TB3 drive to 2015 MBP (Retina) through TB2 port

I'm trying to connect a 5TB external HDD (spinning disk) to my 2015 Macbook Pro through its thunderbolt 2 ports. I got the Apple thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter and a thunderbolt 2 cable from cable matters that is confirmed as bi-directional for data transfer.

Plugging the drive in, it fails to spin up, it doesn't appear at all in disk util. or as a drive in recovery mode.

Setup: 5TB HDD -> Apple TB adapter -> Cable Matters TB2 cable -> MBP running Monterey.

Plugging it in through a usb A port, it shows up and works fine.

The TB2 -> TB3 adapter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQ26QIY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

The TB2 cable I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AKP8XGC?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Let me know what I need to check or change. Thanks

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 23, 2023 8:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2023 8:52 AM

The Apple ThunderBolt-3 <-> Thunderbolt-2 adapter does not pass POWER across the divide.

______

if this is a single Rotating drive in an enclosure, USB-2 at 480 M bits/sec provides a pipe 48 M Bytes/sec wide, which as faster than any ordinary Rotating Magnetic drive can transfer, steady-state.

If your enclosure includes SSD drives or multiple drives in a Striped RAID configuration, you may be slowed slightly by USB-2, but not otherwise.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2023 8:52 AM in response to Alexthetechy

The Apple ThunderBolt-3 <-> Thunderbolt-2 adapter does not pass POWER across the divide.

______

if this is a single Rotating drive in an enclosure, USB-2 at 480 M bits/sec provides a pipe 48 M Bytes/sec wide, which as faster than any ordinary Rotating Magnetic drive can transfer, steady-state.

If your enclosure includes SSD drives or multiple drives in a Striped RAID configuration, you may be slowed slightly by USB-2, but not otherwise.

Feb 23, 2023 9:29 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

That's good to know about the usb 2 speed, however my drive is a Sandisk 5Gbps speed. So I'm wondering if there're any portable docks (preferably usb powered) that could supply power and data transfer?

Something like: https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Thunderbolt-Transfer-Compatible-F4U085tt/dp/B00NAWCU7G/ref=sr_1_8?crid=ZW3RR45HERM2&keywords=thunderbolt%2B2%2Bdock&qid=1677171445&sprefix=thunderbolt%2B2%2B%2Caps%2C93&sr=8-8&th=1

Thanks

Feb 23, 2023 9:37 AM in response to Alexthetechy

what model Sandisk 5 G bps drive?

Many drives claim the speed of the Interface, rather than the ability of the drive to produce data, in their marketing.

For example, 6G bits/sec SATA rotating magnetic drives are no faster than USB-2 speeds, despite their ability to transfer data across a bus clocked faster than the drive can saturate.

Connecting TB3 drive to 2015 MBP (Retina) through TB2 port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.