Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what is error 9000f

My MacBook Pro seems to be bricked. I can’t get past error code 9000F. After reformatting, this is the error I get. I can’t find any information on this. Any thoghts?

Posted on Jul 21, 2019 6:27 PM

14 replies

Jul 29, 2019 3:06 PM in response to djwright66

I was having the same issue trying to go back to Mojave from Catalina, using a USB installer. Internet recovery would go to -9000F error immediately after the download bar completed. To resolve, on another device go to find my iPhone (find my on iOS 13) and remove the Mac from iCloud devices and then retry. Worked perfectly for me. Back on Mojave now after this last step. It’s something with iCloud and Catalina causing the issue, at least it was for me.

Jul 21, 2019 7:16 PM in response to djwright66

In Internet Recovery, these low negative thousands error messages indicate that your provided Wi-Fi Network is inadequate in some fashion, and cannot be used (for this purpose) in its current state.

Common problems include:

Hidden Network-name

required use of a proxy server to get Internet access

required use of a login page to get Internet access

Use of a login server or certificate to get Internet access

Use of PPPoE in the Mac to get Internet access (typically only applies to DSL)

Use of Fixed IP address rather than good old DHCP

Variance of the time by more than five minutes

Failure of Router to provide workable DNS server addresses, or providing 0.0.0.0 [may produce -2002f]

If you have an Ethernet port, you may in some cases be able to move your Mac close to the Router and connect to the Router using Ethernet.

The higher the number, the more obscure the problem.

Also, make certain the Date&Time and Time Zone are correct within 5 minutes.

Jul 22, 2019 6:21 AM in response to djwright66

Option key at startup runs ROM resident Startup Manager code that draws a blank screen and looks for locally connected devices. It does not load MacOS immediately, and does not go to the Internet for anything.

Internet Recovery show the Globe, and goes immediately to the Internet to do anything. As I told you above, your Wi-Fi is not suitable for this use, possibly for one of the reasons listed.

Waiting longer for your Wi-Fi Internet will not help in the slightest.

Jul 22, 2019 6:42 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant, I've not had any internet difficulties with anything else I run. The MacBook never had any difficulties on the network before. My router is an Apple Airport. Not doubting your suggestions, just has never been an issue prior to today and nothing has changed. I'm going to have my IT guy come out and look at it tomorrow. I'm certain it isn't a physical hard drive issue. Just strange.

Jul 22, 2019 8:02 AM in response to djwright66

<<Grant, I've not had any internet difficulties with anything else I run. >>

There is nothing inherently defective in your Wi-Fi. Internet Recovery tries to get stuff using your Wi-Fi on an essentially bare machine. None of your settings are available, so to support this, your Wi-Fi must work perfectly using All Defaults.

That is why setups with login pages or certificates or corporate Wi-Fi network with advanced login protocols, or PPPoE setups or manual IP addresses, or any of those other issues do not work in Internet Recovery, even if everything works great in the running system.

None of those settings are available in Internet Recovery.

¿Is this a corporate Network? Does it use a RADIUS server?

Those will not work for Internet recovery, because they are too complex to be used in default mode.

But the same network over Ethernet would work fine, because there is no complex verification. Anyone who shows up on the Ethernet cable gets service without verification.

Does your MacBook Pro have an Ethernet port?

what model by year, early mid late and screen size and processor speed?

what is error 9000f

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.