Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari keeps crashing in OS X 10.4.4 and 10.4.5 but is stable in 10.4.3

I've been putting off upgrading from 10.4.3 because of this problem but have decided to take the plunge. Safari crashes at random times and there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason. Sometimes it's stable for hours. Sometimes it crashes after minutes. It can crash while I'm opening a new web site, just reading a web site, in the middle of a Youtube video, etc.

I've already done the following:

Deleted Safari cache

Deleted History and Bookmarks and Cookies

Deleted the contents of ~/Library/Safari folder

Deleted the contents of ~/Library/PubSub

Deleted the contents of ~/Library/Cookies

Deleted the contents of ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins

Deleted the contents of ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.safari*

Deleted ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.safari*

Deleted ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.webkit*

Disabled all extensions

Rebooted in safe mode to clear other caches

I've also tested Safari with a newly created User and it *seems* to be stable, but it's also possible that I didn't test it long enough.

Is there anything else I can do to fix/troubleshoot this?

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 21, 2019 8:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2019 4:48 PM

Well, after all that troubleshooting, it looks like the problem was with something in OS X and/or Safari itself. The problem is gone after the latest OS X update.

10.14.3: no problems

10.14.4: Safari crashes randomly

10.14.5: Safari crashes randomly

10.14.6: no problems.

Similar questions

9 replies

Jul 22, 2019 9:41 AM in response to Edward Wu

You have a lot of 3rd party software running, which makes it difficult to figure out what the problem might be. I would start by quitting your VPN, Tunnelbrick, and Little Snitch to see if that makes a different. After quitting them, quit/reopen Safari and test.

If that doesn't work, try going to System Preferences/Users & Groups, note all your login items, and then remove them. Restart the computer and don't open any application. Then open Safari and test.

Jul 25, 2019 10:23 PM in response to VikingOSX

Hmm, interesting question. I never even though about those. These are the ones active, and they're the same between the stable and crashing versions.

Blank anchor target implies rel=noopener

Dark Mode CSS Support

Intersection Observer

Swap Processes on Cross-Site Navigation

Block top-level redirects by third-party iframes

WebRTC H264 Simulcast

WebRTC Unified Plan

WebRTC VP8 codec

Safari keeps crashing in OS X 10.4.4 and 10.4.5 but is stable in 10.4.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.