Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I add a contact to a group right from All Contacts?

1). Can I add a contact to a group right from ALL CONTACTS? ... typing all info for each member I want to put into a group seem quite ridiculous.

2). How do I send an email to a group?

​[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air 11", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 22, 2019 10:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2019 12:43 PM

Add contacts to a group

1. In the Contacts app  on your Mac, select contacts.
  2. Drag the selected contacts to a group in the sidebar.
  3. If the contacts don’t go into the group, check the group—you can’t add contacts to a Smart Group.

If you use an Exchange account in Contacts, those contacts can belong to only one folder at a time. Any contacts that aren’t in a folder you create are in the default Exchange Contacts folder.

https://support.apple.com/guide/contacts/add-or-remove-contacts-from-a-group-adrbbb1811b7/12.0/mac/10.14

Email a group of contacts in Contacts on Mac

n the Contacts app  on your Mac, do either of the following:

• Control-click a group in the sidebar, then choose Send Email. A new email opens in the Mail app, addressed to the group.
  • Drag a group from the sidebar to an address field in an email you’re writing.
  • In your email, either the group name or individual contact names are shown, depending on how Composing preferences are set in Mail.
  • If the group is shown in your email but you want to see the contacts instead, click the arrow next to the group name, then choose Expand Group.

https://support.apple.com/guide/contacts/email-a-group-of-contacts-adrb475c5d8d/12.0/mac/10.14

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2019 12:43 PM in response to cellogal

Add contacts to a group

1. In the Contacts app  on your Mac, select contacts.
  2. Drag the selected contacts to a group in the sidebar.
  3. If the contacts don’t go into the group, check the group—you can’t add contacts to a Smart Group.

If you use an Exchange account in Contacts, those contacts can belong to only one folder at a time. Any contacts that aren’t in a folder you create are in the default Exchange Contacts folder.

https://support.apple.com/guide/contacts/add-or-remove-contacts-from-a-group-adrbbb1811b7/12.0/mac/10.14

Email a group of contacts in Contacts on Mac

n the Contacts app  on your Mac, do either of the following:

• Control-click a group in the sidebar, then choose Send Email. A new email opens in the Mail app, addressed to the group.
  • Drag a group from the sidebar to an address field in an email you’re writing.
  • In your email, either the group name or individual contact names are shown, depending on how Composing preferences are set in Mail.
  • If the group is shown in your email but you want to see the contacts instead, click the arrow next to the group name, then choose Expand Group.

https://support.apple.com/guide/contacts/email-a-group-of-contacts-adrb475c5d8d/12.0/mac/10.14

Jul 22, 2019 1:33 PM in response to cellogal

I have always been wondering why the native iOS 8 / iOS 9 / iOS 10 / iOS 11 contacts app does not have an intuitive option to add a contact to a group on iPhone and iPad. The solution is either to do a more or less uncomfortable work-around, use the iOS app ‘Simpler Contacts’ or, for iCloud groups only, add the contact via iCloud on a web browser.

Jul 22, 2019 10:18 PM in response to Judy

Yes thanks. However I want to be able to drag a contact with lots of information directly into a group .... can’t do it on the iPad, is what i’m Finding out... Point is that I don’t want to retype all the info of many contacts, just to add them to a group.

AND I want to be able to send an email to the entire group, just like I used to do in contacts on my MacBook... !!!

Let me know if there is a work around!

Val

Can I add a contact to a group right from All Contacts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.