Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text message & iMessage

My boyfriend recently got a new iPhone, and when I send him a text it doesn’t deliver through iMessage, so I have to send it through text message. He told me when he texts his friends it’s blue (iMessage), but when he messages me it’s green (text message). I also tried messaging a cousin of mine and when I sent my message it delivered through iMessage, so what’s the problem?

iPhone 7, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 23, 2019 1:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2019 2:06 PM

Did your boyfriend used to have a non-iOS device? If so, your phone may not recognize that he is active in iMessage yet. iMessage requires an active data connection, either cellular data or wi-fi on both ends of the conversation, and iMessage has to be active on both devices. See this for troubleshooting iMessages being sent and received. If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2019 2:06 PM in response to brianalee77

Did your boyfriend used to have a non-iOS device? If so, your phone may not recognize that he is active in iMessage yet. iMessage requires an active data connection, either cellular data or wi-fi on both ends of the conversation, and iMessage has to be active on both devices. See this for troubleshooting iMessages being sent and received. If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Text message & iMessage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.