Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Binding remote Mac to Open Directory

Hello, I've set up a Mac server running OS 10.13 Server. I have DNS & Open Directory set up on the server along with a single network user set up. Then I go to the remote Mac and bind the Mac to the Open Directory and everything was fine. I even went into the Open Directory Utility/LDAPv3 on the remote Mac to manually bind with diradmin credentials. Then I click on the Options... to bring up only allow these users to log in at login window and selected the single network user that I set up on the Open Directory server and click Done. Closed out on everything and logged out. When I log in using the Other... and enter the user/pass, it doesn't accept the password. I've tried resetting the password numerous times with no luck. This is the 3rd OS I've tried setting this up on and still same issue. I've tried on OS 10.11 server, 10.14 server and now 10.13 server.

Please shine some light into what I could be doing wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated.

iMac 27", macOS 10.12

Posted on Jul 23, 2019 4:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2019 12:51 PM

Hi,

I am sorry, but all those specific settings are just broken in the server and client setup.

Yes, it should work and with dns and OD setup correctly authentication should work fine.

Have you tried without limiting the OD users, did you setup a homefolder in the users settings for those clients.

You should set a local homefolder on the client for each user otherwise logging in will not work.

Have you checked the logs to see which errors come up?

Previous macOS server versions with workgroup manager (remember those days) did work fine with settings specific users to log in only, but later versions of the server.app have not been that stable, sadly.

This is still within a local network right? A remote mac on a separate network will not work.

Can you verify the correct password when switching to the network user in the terminal.app?

And does directory utility "see" the user and it settings, please post a screenshot of those settings, without any personal infomation.

Please check if a local homefolder is selected per user, and do not limit the login window to specific users and then test again.

Goodluck

Jeffrey

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2019 12:51 PM in response to quang2550

Hi,

I am sorry, but all those specific settings are just broken in the server and client setup.

Yes, it should work and with dns and OD setup correctly authentication should work fine.

Have you tried without limiting the OD users, did you setup a homefolder in the users settings for those clients.

You should set a local homefolder on the client for each user otherwise logging in will not work.

Have you checked the logs to see which errors come up?

Previous macOS server versions with workgroup manager (remember those days) did work fine with settings specific users to log in only, but later versions of the server.app have not been that stable, sadly.

This is still within a local network right? A remote mac on a separate network will not work.

Can you verify the correct password when switching to the network user in the terminal.app?

And does directory utility "see" the user and it settings, please post a screenshot of those settings, without any personal infomation.

Please check if a local homefolder is selected per user, and do not limit the login window to specific users and then test again.

Goodluck

Jeffrey

Binding remote Mac to Open Directory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.