Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore from TimeMachine not working

This morning, my 2013 MacBook Pro (OS up to date) started to slow down without any obvious reason, and it stayed that way even after a restart. There was a root process running that was using around 70% of CPU time, so I decided to just go back to an earlier version of everything by using TimeMachine. Everything went ok (albeit verrry slowly, even the startup process), and I choose to erase the disk and replace it with a backup from a couple of days ago , since I hadn’t created any documents since then. It started up ok, but stopped at about 1.7 Gb copied. At that point, I could still consult the log file (it said ‘error while copying...) and choose abort, restart the computer and restart the process, this time with a different, slightly older back up file - same result: stopped at 1.7Gb, but now completely unresponsive, even the mouse pointer disappeared, I had to switch it off with a long press of the on/off button.

Now what would be the best next step?

Posted on Jul 24, 2019 2:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2019 3:48 AM

Third failed attempt, this time at 1.69Gb, with a long list of errors that I couldn’t even save to disk. This time I had started the process from Internet recovery (option-command-R), but same result. It seems that I’m not the only one stuck with a slow Mac, but why isn’t Recovery working?

Similar questions

1 reply

Restore from TimeMachine not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.