Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Restore is Stalled near completion.

I was having hardware/sleep issues on my Early 2008 Mac Pro 3,0 that became increasingly chronic. Would sleep and not wake up without hard reboot. Tried all the usual. Tinkering sleep settings, resetting PRAM, SMC, new PMU Battery. Cleaning the machine. Escalated to random back screen with fans running full blast. Finally gave up and decided to clean house and re-install Mac OS. The machine random glitched out DURING THE INSTALL and essentially completely borked the machine.

After some gyration, I was get the install done on a bootable USB installer. Got El Capitan (max of for MacPro3,0) But have to restore my files and apps.... The Time Machine restore seems to have gone well for aboput two hours, ~640 GB total, but then the restore seems to have just STOPPED at about 85% competed

Is now sitting at –

"Transferring your Applications folder...

About 24 minutes remaining at 63 MB/s"

Been there about an hour so far... no change, stationary progress bar, and disk activity seems to have subsided.

Any thoughts? I fear hitting CANCEL is ... problematical. Or is that the way to go? Essentially starting over?

Kurt

Mac Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 5:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2020 8:18 PM

FINAL ANSWER. - Tech Shop has found a failing logic board. So am replacing this MP (Wordstation #2) with Workstation #1 - the classic "Horizontal Domino Upgrade" and replace Workstation #1 with a new/Used highly Upgraded 2012 Mac Pro. That's what happens sometimes. ...

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 3, 2020 10:02 AM in response to Kurt Griffith

Follow up. Was able to restore all but the primary user. That user is a LOT of data, and Migration Assistant stalled near completion more than once attempting to transfer the user information, forcing a hard reboot. On a couple of attempts, the computer blackscreened and froze, and more than once with the fans full on - telling me My initial problem was NOT resolved through a New OS Install... disappointing for all the tilting at this one.

Suggests a squirrely hardware issue – that will mean a trip to my local authorized service center. (&^%$#@#!... especially the $$$ part) But this has pretty much gone past my tech level.

Time Machine Restore is Stalled near completion.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.