Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular not updating to iOS 9.3.6

There's no iOS 9.3.6 update appearing to my iPad 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular (GSM). Is this update only available to the CDMA version of the iPad 2?

iPad 2 3G

Posted on Jul 24, 2019 9:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2019 1:39 PM

Odd, 3G is a type of cellular network, so yes they should be the same thing.

And yes, the model number corresponds to a cellular iPad 2. Specifically GSM version for AT&T.

Its very strange its not appearing in iTunes either.

Outside of trying again in a couple of days, i'm not sure what else to suggest.

All info from Apple suggests that iPad 2 should be getting the 9.3.6 update.

Here: Apple security updates - Apple Support

and here: Update your iPhone or iPad software to avoid issues with location, date, and time - Apple Support

@rbrylawski, there was no iPad 2 capable of LTE. LTE didn't exist at the time. So that difference is moot. An iPad 2 Wifi+3G is for all intents and purposes a Cellular iPad.

42 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2019 1:39 PM in response to MarcBr8

Odd, 3G is a type of cellular network, so yes they should be the same thing.

And yes, the model number corresponds to a cellular iPad 2. Specifically GSM version for AT&T.

Its very strange its not appearing in iTunes either.

Outside of trying again in a couple of days, i'm not sure what else to suggest.

All info from Apple suggests that iPad 2 should be getting the 9.3.6 update.

Here: Apple security updates - Apple Support

and here: Update your iPhone or iPad software to avoid issues with location, date, and time - Apple Support

@rbrylawski, there was no iPad 2 capable of LTE. LTE didn't exist at the time. So that difference is moot. An iPad 2 Wifi+3G is for all intents and purposes a Cellular iPad.

Jul 24, 2019 7:29 PM in response to Phil0124

My iPad version is MC775C/A which CNET reports as a Apple iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G - tablet - 64 GB - 9.7" - 3G

I just checked over WiFi and it reports no updates available. I haven't tried iTunes yet because I use a very old version of iTunes and do not want to upgrade just to enable the iPad2 to connect. I might have to set up an external boot drive just to do this -- or not.

I should dig out my 4S and see if it has the same issue.

I guess the other thing to do would be to backup to iCloud, then go to the local Apple Store and ask them to re-install iOS which should take it straight to 9.3.6.

Aug 12, 2019 12:10 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Just because something isn't on Apple's site doesn't mean there isn't an omission. Apple's own declarations on Update your iPhone or iPad software to avoid issues with location, date, and time - Apple Support are clear indication of how vague their statement is about support for "iPad 2 WiFi + Cellular" since this clearly only seems to be the case for some models.

Now if the GSM iPad2 were all produced at the end of the iPad2 run and the CDMA models were all in the early run I would agree that perhaps the later runs had the newer GPS. I am inclined to agree with MarcBR8's argument that if this were the case, why would there be any need for updates for the iPad3 Mini models?

Jul 24, 2019 11:03 AM in response to MarcBr8

That is interesting and therein lies the confusion and difference.

Wifi + 3G is limited to connecting to a cellular network of the 3G or lower type. while the Wifi + Cellular will connect to 3G or LTE depending on what is available.

But I still don't understand why if the purpose of the update is to fix something with GPS, why 3G would make the difference as to the ability to get the update?

Jul 24, 2019 2:05 PM in response to Phil0124

Thanks Phil. I've been researching this since I posted and realized after it was too late to amend my post that there was only the iPad 2 Wifi + 3G, which is of course cellular and yes, I know there was no LTE back in those days.

I realize the OP called Apple, but I wouldn't take what the person they spoke with said as Gospel.

I had to speak with an Apple Advisor when iOS 12.4 was released and the advisor argued with me that I had to be using beta software because it couldn't have been released to the public yet. Which of course I had to explain had indeed been released and they still insisted on involving a senior advisor because I had to be wrong.

Jul 25, 2019 10:37 AM in response to Phil0124

I just booted my 4S for the first time in several months. It took about 3 minutes to check with Apple but it does offer an update. It didn't automatically offer it (or do the hard-sell the way my SE does with iOS12) -- I had to manually check for updates. Basically I did the same thing I tried doing with the iPad but it didn't work with the iPad.

Just to note, I have no cell service on either device. In fact I don't even have a SIM card in the 4S, as it likes to remind me.

Jul 25, 2019 11:47 AM in response to MarcBr8

Apple may have announced that the update is available specifically for the CDMA version of iPad 2. It's bizarre because it's available for both iPad Mini and iPad 3 GSM versions:

9.3.6 (iPad 2 CDMA): iPad2,3_9.3.6_13G37_Restore.ipsw

9.3.6 (iPad 3 CDMA): iPad3,2_9.3.6_13G37_Restore.ipsw

9.3.6 (iPad 3 GSM): iPad3,3_9.3.6_13G37_Restore.ipsw

9.3.6 (iPad Mini GSM): iPad2,6_9.3.6_13G37_Restore.ipsw

9.3.6 (iPad Mini CDMA): iPad2,7_9.3.6_13G37_Restore.ipsw

Aug 11, 2019 7:00 AM in response to MarcBr8

Glad I found this thread as I was trying to figure out why my iPad 2 GSM said there weren’t any updates (OTA and iTunes). This seems like an oversight on Apple’s part. Even my old iPhone 4S GSM (found it in a drawer) got the 9.3.6 update, so I think Apple just made a mistake. That or the iPad 2 GSM couldn’t be updated for some reason.

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular not updating to iOS 9.3.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.