You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Mojave - now extends to 3 monitors but I only have 2 commented

Having updated to Mojave my extended screens now show 3 monitors when I arrange, but I only have 2 attached. The 3rd shows "no monitor" but still extends my desktop to this non existent space. How do I remove it from the options. Have tried restarting.

Posted on Jul 25, 2019 7:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2019 10:25 AM

Good evening Julieb2365,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand you are seeing 3 extended screens in Mojave, but you only have 2 attached. Did you have 3 monitors attached at one point? Try unplugging all of your peripheral devices and restarting your Mac to refresh it.

If the issue persists at startup, try pressing Command + F1 to switch between mirrored and extended desktop.

Also, check the Mission Control preferences in System Preferences. Toggle the "Displays have separate Spaces" setting to see if that makes a difference for you.

Use external monitors with your Mac

Take care.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 26, 2019 10:25 AM in response to Julieb2365

Good evening Julieb2365,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand you are seeing 3 extended screens in Mojave, but you only have 2 attached. Did you have 3 monitors attached at one point? Try unplugging all of your peripheral devices and restarting your Mac to refresh it.

If the issue persists at startup, try pressing Command + F1 to switch between mirrored and extended desktop.

Also, check the Mission Control preferences in System Preferences. Toggle the "Displays have separate Spaces" setting to see if that makes a difference for you.

Use external monitors with your Mac

Take care.

Macbook Mojave - now extends to 3 monitors but I only have 2 commented

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.