Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail storage

iPad Air 2, iOS 12.3.1 I tried to free up storage by deleting all emails from every mailbox in Apple Mail - but the result was a doubling of the storage in Mail docs & data. Why did this happen, and how can I empty docs & data?

iPad Air Wi-Fi

Posted on Jul 25, 2019 7:25 AM

13 replies

Jul 25, 2019 8:13 AM in response to QuickPost

Comcast is my email provider. It was last evening (about 14 hours ago) when I deleted all emails, including those in trash. The usage in Mail went from 744 MB to approximately twice that (I did not confirm whether it was exactly doubled). Currently the usage in Mail docs & data has come down, but is still higher (961MB) than it was before deleting all emails.

Thanks for responding. - 2sheets44

Jul 25, 2019 9:55 AM in response to QuickPost

I did that last night after deleting the emails, but have just done it again - no change in Mail D & D usage.

I should confess that I understand very little about how email accounts should be managed, and I suspect that I have done things in problematic ways. For instance, I have 2 email accounts on the iPad. One is the default Comcast account which I use almost exclusively, and the other is an iCloud account (@me.com). When I erased emails last evening, I did so in all mailboxes in both accounts. I suspect the iCloud account may be a key to this puzzle.

Jul 25, 2019 1:52 PM in response to QuickPost

Since my wife and I use the same email account on our Mac desktops as well as our iPads, I decided to try deleting the Apple Mail app from my iPad, reinstalling it, and then installing the same email account rather than a new one. This was simple. The result was interesting. iPad storage now shows a whole gig less usage - but Apple Mail D & D still shows 929 MB usage! And the emails present in the various Comcast mailboxes on my iPad are those currently present on my Mac. So apparently one can have one's emails and the storage they take also!

This seems too good to be true, so I will wait and see whether it holds up. And I will be interested in any comments you have. And thank you - it's a good outcome so far!

Apple Mail storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.