Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Phishing warning in Messages app

In Messages app, there is annoying red warning:

"Caution! Apple and other trustworthy senders will never text you to change your credentials, run commands in terminal, or share sensitive data. That's phishing - a scam that uses urgency and technology (importantster websites, apps, or malware) to trick you! ..."

How to disable/remove this warning from Messages app? Thank you for your help.

[Image Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 25, 2019 8:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2019 11:28 PM

The warning message is automatically shown in Messages app, when the folder "/AppleInternal" exists on the hard drive.

In my case, this folder has been empty. I just do in Terminal:

sudo rmdir /AppleInternal

Then I restart the Messages app and everything is now fixed (no more warning messages in new conversations).

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2019 11:28 PM in response to jar190

The warning message is automatically shown in Messages app, when the folder "/AppleInternal" exists on the hard drive.

In my case, this folder has been empty. I just do in Terminal:

sudo rmdir /AppleInternal

Then I restart the Messages app and everything is now fixed (no more warning messages in new conversations).

Jul 25, 2019 8:42 PM in response to LD150

I don't think so. There were no suspected messages/smses in any of conversations. This warning seems to be shown in all conversations sent from numbers, which I don't have saved in my contacts list, like verification sms from my bank, info sms from various services, even from Apple (AppleID verification messages). Also sms from some customers (ie. real people mobile phone numbers) which I don't have in my contacts list (but not from all of them). Each of them are trustworthy numbers and messages, nothing unusual.

Adding contact in my contacts list removes the warning from particular conversation, but I don't want to mess my contacts with numbers of everyone who writes me. Adding and removing the contact has no effect, the warning is restored again.

Jul 28, 2019 8:26 AM in response to LD150

Checking/unchecking "Notify from unknown contacts" setting doesn't seem to have any effect (I also tried to restart application after setting change).

However, you bring me an idea. What about some privacy settings? I am using Terminal and "find" command and I am not sure (can't remember), if there were some privacy settings/dialog, which had to be confirmed to allow "find" command searching all paths on my disk. However, I can't find any Message app security settings in Security settings dialog, so what about some "plist" file or something like that?

Aug 15, 2019 2:19 PM in response to jar190

By any chance is that Mac "managed"? In other words, is it yours alone, or does it belong to—or is otherwise registered with—an employer, school, or similar institution?

To find out open (Apple menu) > System Preferences... and look for a Profiles preference pane. Even if you don't see one, make absolutely certain a Profile has not been installed by selecting View > Customize... I have yet to encounter anything that attempted to hide itself in such manner but any hidden preference panes would become visible there.

The reason for asking is that message does not come from Apple. It arose from something else, and if it's not one of the aforementioned possibilities it could conceivably be from your phone service provider or ISP. Its reference to "IS&T HelpLine" is one clue. Does it have any meaning to you?

Does anyone other than you have Administrator privileges for that Mac? Has anyone else used it in the past?

Aug 15, 2019 11:24 PM in response to John Galt

Thank you for your questions. My mac is mine and only mine from the beginning, it is about three years old, bought from authorized Apple dealer (we don't have Apple stores in our country) and it is MacBook Pro with customized settings (so its shipping takes about 5-7 weeks). Unpacked in front of me. No one has access to my computer any time (I am working from home). The interesting thing is, that we don't have any company called "IS&T" in our country.

The warning message started showing up about 1 year ago.

There is no Profiles menu in my preferences (following all your instructions).

However, when I tried to google IS&T HelpLine company, the first result leads to solution of this problem, see:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/355954/how-do-i-disable-this-red-warning-appearing-in-every-new-conversation-in-imessag

Aug 16, 2019 12:10 AM in response to dialabrain

I'm using bunch of developer tools (all of them are well-known, there is no place for "underground" software on my computer), so it is possible that some installation temporarily creates this folder as workaround for some other feature. I don't know. However, the problem is solved and that's good. And I hope, that I don't need this kind of folder for proper work.

Phishing warning in Messages app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.