Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my iMac does not start, only when I hold down the shift key

Posted on Jul 25, 2019 9:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2019 12:18 PM

Hello,

If your Macintosh is only starting up in Safe Boot then it sounds like there might be something wrong with the Mac’s system software. Please reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery. Be certain that you have all of your data backed up. In macOS Recovery do not erase your hard disk in Disk Utility. Just follow the steps to reinstall macOS. This essentially just puts a new system folder on your startup disk.

Reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2019 12:18 PM in response to actoulas

Hello,

If your Macintosh is only starting up in Safe Boot then it sounds like there might be something wrong with the Mac’s system software. Please reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery. Be certain that you have all of your data backed up. In macOS Recovery do not erase your hard disk in Disk Utility. Just follow the steps to reinstall macOS. This essentially just puts a new system folder on your startup disk.

Reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.