Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac is not starting

Using shift key while restarting does not change anything

iMac, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 3:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2021 4:33 AM

For a vague question get a vague answer: What to do if your Mac doesn't start up.

For a more personalized suggestions can you tell us:

• Which iMac model do you have.
  • What version of MacOS is installed.
  • When your computer last worked normally.
  • How have you already tried to solve your problem.
  • And for 'not starting up' questions: Where in the startup sequence does your iMac fail. Is it a black brick? Do you hear a chime? Does anything show up on the screen?

See Writing an Effective Question for more tips.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2021 4:33 AM in response to LeXavedePaname

For a vague question get a vague answer: What to do if your Mac doesn't start up.

For a more personalized suggestions can you tell us:

• Which iMac model do you have.
  • What version of MacOS is installed.
  • When your computer last worked normally.
  • How have you already tried to solve your problem.
  • And for 'not starting up' questions: Where in the startup sequence does your iMac fail. Is it a black brick? Do you hear a chime? Does anything show up on the screen?

See Writing an Effective Question for more tips.

Nov 1, 2021 9:57 AM in response to LeXavedePaname

You can use ANY USB keyboard, please restart in Safe Mode by holding down the Shift Key on restart until the computer starts up. NOTE: A Safe Mode restart can take up to 10 minutes so continue holding down the Shift Key.

Also, your post does not provide any useful information other than the model year. Providing statements such as "it has the latest version...." tells us nothing at all. Please be specific, something like " It has Catalina 10.15.3 installed on it" is specific.

Please carefully read Writing an effective Apple Support Commun… - Apple Community and then repost your question. Also, please refer to If your Mac won't turn on or start up and do all the steps there.

Nov 1, 2021 9:51 AM in response to padams35

My iMac 2013 intel running the latest macOS still compatible is pending on the apple logo and its loading bar. Nothing happened except scratching the disk. I have tried the safe mode .. but with a usb pc keyboard pressing « shift » button . But nothing different happends. Do I need to get a regular old usb keyboard for such attempt? 

My iMac is not starting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.