Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch won’t reset

Today I updated to the new iOS for the Apple Watch and immediately after doing so, my Apple Watch said “too many password attempts reset watch and pair again”. I tried to reset the watch via my phone but that said the process failed. I am no longer paired with my phone but now my watch won’t let me reset it. When I hold the side button it just restarts. It never gives me the option to slide to power off or to press that screen so that I can erase all content and reset the watch.

Apple Watch

Posted on Jul 25, 2019 7:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2019 7:15 PM

Hold the Digital Crown and side button together until you see the Apple logo and then release.

You can also try this for too many passcode attempts. If you forgot your Apple Watch passcode - Apple Support

5 replies

Jul 27, 2019 5:31 AM in response to harrison162

You probably overlooked the requirement for charger power during the Erase of the watch. From If you forgot your Apple Watch passcode - Apple Support,

If you don't have your paired iPhone, you can still remove the passcode from your Apple Watch.

1. Keep your watch on its charger until you complete these steps.
    2. Press and hold the side button until you see Power Off.
    3. Firmly press the Power Off slider, then lift your finger. 
    4. Tap Erase all content and settings.
    5. Wait for the process to finish, then set up your Apple Watch again. When asked, restore from a backup.

Jul 27, 2019 3:59 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

So I tried holding down the crown and the side button at the same time and the watch restarted. However when it turned back on the watch still has this same problem.

When I just hold down the side button alone, I am never give the option to slide to power down. My watch just turns off and turns back on and the problem does not resolve. The watch remains stuck on the too many password attempts reset and pair again screen.

Apple Watch won’t reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.