Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bring back Preview - Mail (share with reply to function)

Hi folks,

In the pre Mojave versions of MacOS, when you received a PDF in Mail one could edit it in Preview and then share it back to the sender via the share button, as an option appeared "Reply to....".

Then the edited version of the PDF was attached to the reply email. This was a very fast and efficient way to work with PDFs attachments that needed to be sent back with edits.

Does anyone know how can I bring that back?

Posted on Jul 26, 2019 5:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2019 7:00 AM

The Preview Share menu Reply to ________ is indeed missing in Mojave 10.14.6, though it was present in High Sierra 10.13.6. This Share menu item is not part of the High Sierra, or Mojave Extensions : Share items — so it appears that Mail was passing a hint to Preview to add this menu item and functionality. There is no restoring this feature in Mojave.

You can provide feedback to the Apple Mail team about this feature removal.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2019 7:00 AM in response to AndreiD

The Preview Share menu Reply to ________ is indeed missing in Mojave 10.14.6, though it was present in High Sierra 10.13.6. This Share menu item is not part of the High Sierra, or Mojave Extensions : Share items — so it appears that Mail was passing a hint to Preview to add this menu item and functionality. There is no restoring this feature in Mojave.

You can provide feedback to the Apple Mail team about this feature removal.

Jul 26, 2019 7:09 AM in response to VikingOSX

****! I was worried I was right. I hoped it was some setting I overlooked, that got disabled once I updated to Mojave.

Anyway, submitted feedback to Apple Mail for this feature, and maybe they will bring it back in Catalina, although I'm not holding my breath. I remember I submitted feedback for the same issue back when 10.14 launched, alas to no avail. I'm starting to have doubts about the feedback hub.

Maybe if I install side by side Catalina beta and do a feedback form there!? I know for a fact as a non-public beta tester from past experience, that they take serious consideration for the Feedback submitted from the feedback assistant app.

Edit: Woha! Since when did Apple Support got so PC? I wrote d @ m n and it immediately got censored

Jul 26, 2019 8:17 AM in response to AndreiD

At this late date, you can assume that new features for Catalina 10.15.0 and quite possibly 10.15.1 are frozen in order to get them out the door on schedule. It is a coin-toss if feedback assistant from Catalina will get the missing feature reinstated.

Understand that if you install the Catalina beta without being a paid developer, you will receive no assistance from these Apple Support Communities as beta discussions are out of scope here.

Apple apparently is learning the different creative variations on non-PC words, so don't be too surprised. 🙃

Bring back Preview - Mail (share with reply to function)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.