Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac desktop icons not showing up

When I go to my desktop folder, everything is there but not showing up on actual desktop. I try dragging it onto it, and it doesn't do anything. I can't even click and drag to make that filled square. Help please!

Posted on Jul 26, 2019 8:30 AM

11 replies

Jul 26, 2019 10:04 AM in response to chloechloee

Then download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Add Text button to include the report in your reply. How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what's causing the problem..

Jul 27, 2019 12:51 AM in response to chloechloee

At the moment I can think of two things to try;

1) Delete Finder preferences:

press command-shift-G, type

~/Library/Preferences and press enter

drag com.apple.Finder.plist to the trash

relaunch the Finder (press command-option-escape select Finder on the list and click Relaunch)

If the above does not fix it you may try

2) Download and run the Combo Update over the present system.

Mac desktop icons not showing up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.