Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility: After problems, I'd like to know if the creation of 1 partition pro 1 external SSD is secure, please?

Hi!

On MacOsX.12 Sierra, I remember that I burnt 2 USB keys, each one of 64 Go, in trying to format them with the Disk Utility, for a total amount of 2 x CHF 80.- = CHF 160.-.

The problem was set on MacOsX.13 High.

Yesterday, I got my bought of an external SSD LaCie, which is the high-end brand for large hard memories - a SSD of 2 To, which costed about CHF 500.-.

-I have a Federal Certificate of Ability in Computers, obtained after 4 years of a computers learning, in Switzerland.

And on the considered time - yesterday - I discovered the contemporary Disk Utility of MacOsX.14.5 Mojave, and... my God; it is almost as complex as a chemical industry!

1. As you should be able to verify, such LaCie disk(s) is declared by MacOs as being without Integrity Control - but the LaCie disk is assembled on a Seagate base, which is the best leader of hard disks conceivers. As I did not expect my problem (to be described bellow), I did not take any screenshot. But as you can see that, indeed, there is Integrity Check: https://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/kb/my-solid-state-drive-may-be-defective-how-can-i-test-it-005706en/# "All Seagate Solid State Drives have built-in error-checking capabilities.".
  2. I tried to create 3 partitions. I did not want of the "Volumes", because I needed: a) a 500 Go APFS for TimeMachine Back-ups of my 500 Go MacIntosh-Mac-partition; b) a 500 Go NTFS to backup my MacIntosh-Windows_10-partition; (both of these back-ups are very "long-lasting", that's why I oriented me about the external SSD) - and c) an ExFat partition to exchange files in a flexible way.
  3. Disk Utility tried, but failed - without consequence, in a first attempt.
  4. So, I tried to create 3 ExFat-only partitions, in order to change them as being of 1 APFS, 1 NTFS, and 1 ExFat - later only. Disk Utility created 1 partition less (so: 2), and rendered my SSD as being not anymore partitionable, nor erasable... After that, I saw that it was detected by Disk Utility, but without possible operation anymore on it, and that this SSD was not seen at all by the Finder anymore.
  5. And S. O. S. function wrote that all was Ok about this SSD (maybe after point 3.), and without modal contexts as on other cases (as all "seems" ok), but made the report as being a certitude ...
  6. I have to return this SSD of 2 To to the seller, in giving him the reasons of the fail, and how it occurred, in the hope he will come into the account, and accept to change me this SSD of 2 To, for 2 SSD of 1 To (1 per MacIntosh partition, so the double in memory size - what will be better, I realise, to avoid too much fragmentation during the back-up(s)).
  7. So, my wish is to create 1 partition pro external SSD (which one will be pro MacIntosh partition) for better management, but I am not a "Beta" tester, (in French, "beta" has a bad meaning, too), so I really would like to know it the creation of such a sole partition pro SSD is secure - as I don't want to bother my seller uselessly, with any other return - and without counting my loss of time ?

-Please, do not close this ticked before a month forward, because my return of the rendered out-of-service SSD will take 1 week; the study of my request by the seller: surely 1 week, too; and my use of the new SSDs will take another week.

As I will provide the complemental pictures (about so-called "absence" of Integrity Check, notably).

-So, is 1 partition pro external SSD secure, please?

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Jul 26, 2019 3:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2019 6:20 AM

Effectively, I had problems with multiple partitions on the external SSD, and seemingly, with APFS.

Here the principles to respect (at least for LaCie, on a Seagate base) :

1. A sole partition/physical volume on the external SSD, for Windows (mentioned here under in the source), but by preference also for MacOS (not mentioned here under in the source), (I did not all the tests, as CHF 250.- the (failing) test would be too expensive);
  2. Not to use APFS in the prevision to use Time Machine, but still HFS+. If the OS is case-sensitive, Time Machine will re-do the format of the SSD, in order to make it case-sensitive, too - even if it is in slightly different file system - and that does not pose any problem.

-Sources (somewhat ambiguous) :

-Also, we see that the LaCie disk in question benefits of the Verification, but not of the Integrity check, (what I don't understand very well - moreover for a high-end SSD of nowadays), and that some incoherent data are given, even when the partition is well done, as the "no-SSD" attribute..:

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2019 6:20 AM in response to InsanelyMac

Effectively, I had problems with multiple partitions on the external SSD, and seemingly, with APFS.

Here the principles to respect (at least for LaCie, on a Seagate base) :

1. A sole partition/physical volume on the external SSD, for Windows (mentioned here under in the source), but by preference also for MacOS (not mentioned here under in the source), (I did not all the tests, as CHF 250.- the (failing) test would be too expensive);
  2. Not to use APFS in the prevision to use Time Machine, but still HFS+. If the OS is case-sensitive, Time Machine will re-do the format of the SSD, in order to make it case-sensitive, too - even if it is in slightly different file system - and that does not pose any problem.

-Sources (somewhat ambiguous) :

-Also, we see that the LaCie disk in question benefits of the Verification, but not of the Integrity check, (what I don't understand very well - moreover for a high-end SSD of nowadays), and that some incoherent data are given, even when the partition is well done, as the "no-SSD" attribute..:

Jul 27, 2019 2:44 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Hi,

I wanted to write that the play consisting to say "there is one orthography fault, hence I did not understand anything" is a known game.

I don't want to disturb you, but I think that with 3 concordant variants of my question, it is clear enough. For the purpose, over just our second page of threads, so for 15 threads, only 3 guys placed a dot at the end of their title. And my title is already constituted by my question...

In any case I were about not-to have been understandable, please let me make it even clearer for the upcoming helpers, and this way, I'll give both the negation of the unwanted operation, and the positive way I wish:

• I won't break another external SSD with any known bias of the Disk Utility in trying to create a partition;
  • I would like to create successfully 1 partition on an external SSD.

Anyway, I'll keep all the possible screenshots, including the disk infos (doubtful about absence of integrity check) and in any case, all the other, if it comes to be broken.

Thank you. Have a nice day.

Jul 26, 2019 5:42 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Fine but your reply does not provide any useful information; sorry, you loose half of your points.

I guessed that there was some moderation - but I might be wrong, in another world. I don't really know if you saw that, but some tickets are closed. Maybe simply a timestamp, in which case in have no idea of which duration it is supposed to close; that's why.

All that fact that you do not see sense in my post, does not change anything to my informative content nor to my request of complemental information, so yours have even less.

Cross your way, and help a kid to count until two, if you are able.

Disk Utility: After problems, I'd like to know if the creation of 1 partition pro 1 external SSD is secure, please?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.