Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LG 4k display (27UK600) not recognized at proper resolutions after upgrade to Mac OS 10.14.6

I have been using my 2017 MacBook Pro with an external LG 27UK600 3840x2160 4K Display. It is connected via HDMI and a USB-C hub. For years, through Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave it worked fine. Then, after upgrading to 10.14.6 three days ago, I got home and plugged in my display and now it is only recognized as supporting resolutions up to 1920x1080:

I have restarted everything multiple times. I have plugged and unplugged. I have swapped out the USB-C hub for a different one. I have reset the SMC and the NVRAM. I have spent hours on the phone with 2 different senior advisors at Apple. Most recently, the apple advisor told me I needed to upgrade the firmware on my LG display and that I should call LG so then I spent a half hour with them on the phone so they could confirm that they don't actually publish firmware updates for their plug-and-play displays.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Jul 26, 2019 8:06 PM

Similar questions

18 replies

Jul 27, 2019 12:41 AM in response to jakedeg

Boot to your Recovery drive and run Disk Utility> First Aid on your drive, reboot.

If you upgraded via the Software Update mechanism, then try this,

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2010?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

it does not matter that you are already on 10.14.6 this won't do any harm but it will reset some system files and caches

and may help in resolving your problem. Once downloaded then double0click to install.

I updated using this method and my Sony 4k HDMI TV/ Monitor still shows all the Scaled options.

Jul 26, 2019 10:53 PM in response to jakedeg

I have an LG Ultra HD (27UD59B) hooked up on my 2017 MacBook Air through its Thunderbolt 2 port. The only way to get it to use its native resolution was to connect a 4k mini display to display adapter and 4k HDMI cable.

Originally I've tried the normal mini display to display adapter which I've used to hook up my old full HD screen. With that I could only select 1920x1080 max.

It was the same story when connecting the screen to my 2014 Mac mini.

I've bought this screen after Mojave was released, so I have no experience with older versions of MacOS.

Edit:

Have you tried the option show low resolution modes? Because on my screen it shows up as a low resolution option. I've noted in your preferences it's unchecked.

Jul 31, 2019 7:30 AM in response to vinchoi

Yup. I've been going back and forth with my third Apple Senior Advisor who has referred the issue to the engineering department. I have another call this weekend to run more tests. In the mean time, I bought a USB-C to DisplayPort cable and when I switch over to that it works fine at full-res. So the issue does seem to be specific to HDMI.

Aug 13, 2019 7:43 AM in response to jakedeg

I have the same issue and have also been on with several senior advisors who have escalated it to the engineering team. After a few days of no solution, I went to Best Buy and purchased the Insignia USB-C to HDMI adapter and it worked. This issue seems to be related to adapters that do more than just HDMI. For me, it is the Apple AV Adapter (HDMI, USB and USB-C). Still waiting on a resolution.

Nov 29, 2019 11:13 AM in response to jakedeg

Running 10.5.1 Catalina on a MacBook Pro Mid-2018.

I bought a used LG UltraFine 4K display in great condition. Tried it at the seller's house and it worked fine at full retina resolution. Now I am trying it out after it sat around for about 10 days and I can't get the resolution to go above 1080p when using the "Default for display" setting. 1920 x 1080 is the maximum within the "Scaled" options.

System Profiler tells me the following...

LG UltraFine:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080 (1080p FHD - Full High Definition)

UI Looks like: 1920 x 1080

Framebuffer Depth: 30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010)

Display Serial Number: 610NTRL05806

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Automatically Adjust Brightness: No

Connection Type: DisplayPort

I am connected to the left upper Thunderbolt 3 port on the MacBook Pro with the original cable for the monitor. It is the only thing connected to the computer.

I also tried connecting the monitor my iPad Pro Mid-2019, the image displayed but also maxed out at 1080p

I've tried the "Option" key approach to no avail. All it gives me is a "Detect Displays" button.

LG 4k display (27UK600) not recognized at proper resolutions after upgrade to Mac OS 10.14.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.