Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro loses 40% of battery overnight in sleep mode

Hey,

I performed a clean MacOS install on my 2019 MacBook Pro yesterday, closed the lid and the macbook went to sleep. When I woke up this morning, I noticed that battery percentage went from 100% down to 40% in just 8 hours.

These are the only terminal commands I used as soon as I reinstalled OS:

sudo pmset -a acwake 0

sudo pmset -a sms 1

sudo pmset -a lidwake 0

I turned off Power Nap and disabled wake for wifi network access. I also tried resetting SMC, PRAM...

It seems that my MacBook was waking up every minute for the whole time it was supposed to be asleep.

Here's a short copy of my log (pmset -g log | grep -e " Sleep " -e " Wake "):

2019-07-27 14:53:54 +0200 Sleep               Entering Sleep state due to 'Maintenance Sleep':TCPKeepAlive=active Using Batt (Charge:81%) 39 secs   

2019-07-27 14:53:59 +0200 Wake Requests       [*proc=mDNSResponder request=Maintenance inDelta=7200] [proc=powerd request=TCPKATurnOff inDelta=41408]           

2019-07-27 14:53:59 +0200 PM Client Acks      Delays to Sleep notifications: [com.apple.apsd is slow(1961 ms)] [mDNSResponder is slow(5014 ms)]           

2019-07-27 14:54:32 +0200 Kernel Client Acks  Delays to Sleep notifications: [powerd is slow(5017 ms)] [AppleIntelFramebuffer driver is slow(msg: SetState to 0)(354 ms)] [AMDFramebufferVIB driver is slow(msg: SetState to 0)(354 ms)] [AppleUSBVHCIBCE driver is slow(msg: SetState to 1)(323 ms)] [RP01 driver is slow(msg: SetState to 0)(1009 ms)]           

2019-07-27 14:54:33 +0200 DarkWake            DarkWake from Normal Sleep [CDN] due to EC.ARPT/Maintenance: Using BATT (Charge:81%) 6 secs    

2019-07-27 14:54:33 +0200 Kernel Client Acks  Delays to Wake notifications: [UPSB driver is slow(msg: SetState to 2)(549 ms)] [UPSB driver is slow(msg: SetState to 2)(548 ms)] [ADIO driver is slow(msg: SetState to 2)(545 ms)] [AMDFramebufferVIB driver is slow(msg: SetState to 1)(386 ms)]           

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 27, 2019 9:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2019 11:45 AM

There is a LOT of indexing going on after a system install or reinstall. It can take hours even with an SSD to do the first index. It is a pretty intensive process and I would not be surprised if that is running the battery. Leave the computer in the same state tonight and see if the drain is less.

The maintenance references in the log are probably Apple's periodic maintenance scripts. They run in the wee hours of each morning. Some run every day, some weekly, and some monthly. This happens regardless of sleep state as nearly as I can determine. The scripts in my MBP run as long as the the computer is not turned off. Even does it with the lid closed.

Some third-party software can wake the computer, run what they need to do, and the but the computer back to sleep. Carbon Copy Cloner is one. It makes me a new bootable backup at 4AM every morning. That one is fine with me but the ones I worry about are the anti-virus and so-called "cleaning" apps that switchers from Windows have been brow-beaten into installing. They are useless resource wasters that do more harm than good.

If the battery drain does not get any better after say, two more nights, I would take it up with Apple. It is in warranty. 48 hours should be enough for indexing to complete its tasks.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2019 11:45 AM in response to tomaspetrus

There is a LOT of indexing going on after a system install or reinstall. It can take hours even with an SSD to do the first index. It is a pretty intensive process and I would not be surprised if that is running the battery. Leave the computer in the same state tonight and see if the drain is less.

The maintenance references in the log are probably Apple's periodic maintenance scripts. They run in the wee hours of each morning. Some run every day, some weekly, and some monthly. This happens regardless of sleep state as nearly as I can determine. The scripts in my MBP run as long as the the computer is not turned off. Even does it with the lid closed.

Some third-party software can wake the computer, run what they need to do, and the but the computer back to sleep. Carbon Copy Cloner is one. It makes me a new bootable backup at 4AM every morning. That one is fine with me but the ones I worry about are the anti-virus and so-called "cleaning" apps that switchers from Windows have been brow-beaten into installing. They are useless resource wasters that do more harm than good.

If the battery drain does not get any better after say, two more nights, I would take it up with Apple. It is in warranty. 48 hours should be enough for indexing to complete its tasks.

MacBook Pro loses 40% of battery overnight in sleep mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.