Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

flashing orange light airport extreme

Does anyone know what causes the flashing orange light on my AirPort Extreme? I can solve it by unplugging and plugging in again after a little while, but it occurs more and more.

Airport utility doesn't indicate a problem.

Thanks in advance

Posted on Jul 27, 2019 12:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2019 1:14 PM

If I had to guess, I would say that there's a firmware update available for your base station.

A persistent, flashing amber light indicates that any of the these potential conditions may require your attention:

• The base station has not yet been configured because it is new, or it has been reset.
  • You have selected a security configuration that is not recommended.
  • A new firmware update is available for the base station.
  • One of several other conditions, such as a disconnected Ethernet cable or invalid IP address has been detected.

To find out why your base station's status LED is flashing amber:

1. Open AirPort Utility
  2. Click on the AirPort base station
  3. Look for a Status setting in the small window that appears. Note: Status only appears if there is an issue or notification.
  4. Click on the small amber dot there and another window will open to explain what the "issue" might be.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2019 1:14 PM in response to mulberry58

If I had to guess, I would say that there's a firmware update available for your base station.

A persistent, flashing amber light indicates that any of the these potential conditions may require your attention:

• The base station has not yet been configured because it is new, or it has been reset.
  • You have selected a security configuration that is not recommended.
  • A new firmware update is available for the base station.
  • One of several other conditions, such as a disconnected Ethernet cable or invalid IP address has been detected.

To find out why your base station's status LED is flashing amber:

1. Open AirPort Utility
  2. Click on the AirPort base station
  3. Look for a Status setting in the small window that appears. Note: Status only appears if there is an issue or notification.
  4. Click on the small amber dot there and another window will open to explain what the "issue" might be.

Jul 27, 2019 1:20 PM in response to mulberry58

AirPort Utility will tell you what the issue might be if you.......

Open AirPort Utility

Click on the AirPort Extreme

Look to see if an "Update" button is present in the smaller window that appears

If an Update button appears, click on it to update the firmware on the AirPort Extreme. The example below shows an AirPort Express, but your will see your device on your Mac

If an "Update" 'button does not appear........look for the Status setting and click on the small amber dot there. Another window will open up with more information about why the AirPort Extreme is complaining.

flashing orange light airport extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.