Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Excessive sysdiagnose.tar.gz files

Greetings.

About 2 months ago my system started popping up with a 'private > var > tmp' folder (see attached).

From reviewing several online posts, I understand these are normal OSX files, however as you can see in the image it happens many times everyday. I have been deleting these files, otherwise this folder would be several gigs by now. Looking back, I can not find any new apps or other installs or issues that may be causing this.

Can someone tell me what's going on, and if / how there is a way to manage this behavior?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Posted on Jul 28, 2019 6:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2019 7:24 AM

If the sysdiagnose is not being manually triggered, then something is probably crashing.

Have a look ‘round the system for what might be crashing.

Look in the sysdiagnose file, too, for any clues there.

Run hardware diagnostics.

If you have add-on anti-virus or anti-malware or other kernel extensions, remote all that per the vendors’ instructions, and reboot.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2019 7:24 AM in response to Chizzer

If the sysdiagnose is not being manually triggered, then something is probably crashing.

Have a look ‘round the system for what might be crashing.

Look in the sysdiagnose file, too, for any clues there.

Run hardware diagnostics.

If you have add-on anti-virus or anti-malware or other kernel extensions, remote all that per the vendors’ instructions, and reboot.

Aug 3, 2019 9:41 AM in response to Chizzer

Try running this program in your normal user account, then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy Report” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information    10.10 and later

Aug 3, 2019 11:47 AM in response to Eric Root

Hey Eric.... thank you for the reply and the Etrecheck. Nice little app.

I had to laugh, the Minor Issues reported that my machine may be considered Vintage... lol... Yea, probably...

Report ... other than the Clean Up advice near the bottom, my noob eyeballs don't see any red flags. Would I just search and delete those recommend clean up files?

Thanks for taking a look...

Chiz.

https://pastebin.com/pPusfaxu

Excessive sysdiagnose.tar.gz files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.