Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Strange x86 files on my Mac???

I recently started using Spotlight more often, and for some reason now I see x86 files ALL OVER THE PLACE. They all start the same name and are unopenable, some as ISOs, most being .im4m files... Can someone tell me if it means I am hacked, and how to get rid of them??? Thanks!

Ryan's MacBook Pro 14", MacBook Pro 14″

Posted on May 31, 2023 11:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2023 5:06 AM

If the operating system cannot find an application to open a file based on its file extension, or the file is very clearly a Windows executable (.exe), then it will substitute the Executable Binary icon. If it is not a Windows-sourced executable, then you will need a Mac compatible version of the application that can open that file format.

Is this the icon that you see that you associate with "x86 files?"

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2023 5:06 AM in response to SuperSonicGamer

If the operating system cannot find an application to open a file based on its file extension, or the file is very clearly a Windows executable (.exe), then it will substitute the Executable Binary icon. If it is not a Windows-sourced executable, then you will need a Mac compatible version of the application that can open that file format.

Is this the icon that you see that you associate with "x86 files?"

Jun 3, 2023 7:51 PM in response to SuperSonicGamer

That example file & location appears to be part of some macOS updater. This updater is located on a sealed read-only system volume so you won't be able to delete it even if you wanted to which would be unwise anyway.

FYI, Be careful deleting any files outside of the "/Users" folder since they are controlled & are needed by macOS. The items within your own home user folder are the only files you should worry about as they are files you have placed there yourself.

Strange x86 files on my Mac???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.