Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview recognized as "created by an unidentified developer" application when open PDF files if set as a default app to open

When I set Preview as default app to open PDF files (created by Acrobat Professional), I get a popup saying "Cannot open because the file is created by an unidentified developer". I can open Preview itself, and I can open these files from Preview if I opened it first. Anyone knows why this is happening, and possible remedy?

Thank you.

My Mac Mini: 10.14.5 Mojave

Acrobat Professional: Version 8.0.0.

Posted on Jul 29, 2019 9:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2019 4:02 AM

When you perform a Get Info on an arbitrary PDF, and set the Open With section to Preview, also be certain to click through on that Change All… button, or Acrobat will still try to open the PDF.

Once you perform the unidentified developer ritual of right-clicking on Adobe Acrobat Professional and selecting Open, and Open again on the unidentifed developer dialog, you should no longer get that dialog.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2019 4:02 AM in response to akih28

When you perform a Get Info on an arbitrary PDF, and set the Open With section to Preview, also be certain to click through on that Change All… button, or Acrobat will still try to open the PDF.

Once you perform the unidentified developer ritual of right-clicking on Adobe Acrobat Professional and selecting Open, and Open again on the unidentifed developer dialog, you should no longer get that dialog.

Jul 29, 2019 1:31 PM in response to akih28

Any non-Apple application (or its update) that is installed from other than the Mac App Store falls into the category of an application created by an unidentified developer. You will have to open Acrobat Professional DC v2019.* via the right-click alternate menu and choose Open. You should receive that familiar unidentified developer dialog, and click Open again to get to a normal application opening.

Once you have performed the preceding ritual, a PDF created or edited by Acrobat Professional DC should then open without any fanfare in Preview, as the originating application has been swept and confirmed by Gatekeeper in the first paragraph.

Jul 29, 2019 2:28 PM in response to VikingOSX

VikingOSX,

Thank you fro your quick reply.

However, I want Preview to open PDF files, not Acrobat. When I change "Open with" from Acrobat to Preview in "get info" window in PDF files, they do not open with simple double click. "unidentified developer" window comes up instead. I get this popup only when default application of the file is Preview in "get info" window.

I did what you suggested with Acrobat, but the behavior persists. when I double click a file, its default app in "get info" window is Preview, "unidentified developer" window pops up. I did the same ritual with Preview too. Still not working.

Any suggestions? I really appreciate your help.

Jul 29, 2019 2:30 PM in response to akih28

VikingOSX,

Thank you fro your quick reply.

However, I want Preview to open PDF files, not Acrobat. When I change "Open with" from Acrobat to Preview in "get info" window in PDF files, they do not open with simple double click. "unidentified developer" window comes up instead. I get this popup only when default application of the file is Preview in "get info" window.

I did what you suggested with Acrobat, but the behavior persists. when I double click a file, its default app in "get info" window is Preview, "unidentified developer" window pops up. I did the same ritual with Preview too. Still not working.

Any suggestions? I really appreciate your help.

Preview recognized as "created by an unidentified developer" application when open PDF files if set as a default app to open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.