Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Clamshell mode without connecting to power MacBook Pro 2019

Good day!

Any chance someone knows if it's possible to activate clamshell mode on the 2019 MacBook Pro without connecting to power?

I'm really pretty crazy about only connecting to power when the battery is down to the bottom, and then making sure it charges all the way up. Not being able to activate this mode on my home desk set up (with external monitor) without connecting power makes this a little difficult.

I appreciate it! Have a wonderful day!

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jul 29, 2019 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2019 11:27 AM

Clamshell mode requires power.

You are not doing your battery any good by charging it as you described. In fact you are increasing the rate of charging cycles. Plug your computer in whenever near an outlet or when convenient.

Similar questions

2 replies

Jul 29, 2019 10:25 AM in response to j_mike_glaze

<<I'm really pretty crazy about only connecting to power when the battery is down to the bottom, and then making sure it charges all the way up. >>

You are delusional. That does not help battery life or anything else in your premium quality MacBook Pro. Three micro-controllers cooperate to give you good performance and long battery life. It will never over-charge. Your intervention is not desirable.

You should plug in your MacBook Pro whenever power is available, and only use it on battery when power is not available.

Using Clamshell mode without connecting to power MacBook Pro 2019

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.