Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clamshell mode doesn't work properly if connected to Thunderbolt

I have a 16 inch MacBook Pro M1 Max. The MacBook does not boot in clamshell mode when connected to a USB charger. This still worked on my slightly older Macbook.

Apple recommends the CalDigit hub on its website. I am using the latest model TS4. Only a single Thunderbolt cable from the hub is required to connect all peripherals and charge the Macbook. This still works, but the Macbook WILL NOT BOOT when receiving charging power via Thunderbolt with the display closed. I have to open the Macbook every time to boot.

This is very cumbersome, because the Macbook is not installed on the desk for reasons of space, but in a vertical stand. I'm certainly not the only one who uses his Macbook in clamshell mode and wants to turn it on via a main switch.

Compared to before, this is a loss of functionality, a step backwards.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 1, 2022 9:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2022 5:35 PM

If you are powering off the laptop have you tried configuring the laptop to power on automatically at a certain time?

Schedule your Mac notebook to turn on or off - Apple Support

Otherwise, don't power off the laptop. Just put the display to sleep and/or sleep the laptop instead.

Similar questions

4 replies

Jul 2, 2022 2:01 PM in response to holger0410

Not sure if this will help you or not, but I have an Intel 16" MacBook Pro connected via Thunderbolt to my LG 27" display. As with this and all my prior MacBook Pro's, I always had to open the lid to boot from shutdown - not sure how you could possibly do it any other way?? (It doesn't work like an iPhone that when it receives power it automatically boots up)

So, I basically leave my computer on all the time, and the display and computer sleep when not in use. I only reboot about once every few days.

Jul 2, 2022 10:03 AM in response to holger0410

I assisted another user with a similar setup last year. Your setup using a master power switch will not work anymore (or won't be reliable). I have provided you options that may work as an alternative. I guess you can try disconnecting the charger and reconnecting the charger to see if it will trigger the laptop to power on automatically, but this doesn't always work even with the lid open. The new M1 Macs have made a lot of changes and don't work like the older Intel Macs. You need to adapt to the changes Apple has made.

You can provide Apple with product feedback here (Apple will not respond):

Product Feedback - Apple

Hopefully if I'm overlooking something another more knowledgeable contributor will chime in here.

Jul 2, 2022 6:03 AM in response to HWTech

Thanks for the answer. Turning it on automatically is out of the question as I don't use the laptop at regular times. Hibernate isn't an option either, because I want to save energy. All devices, active boxes, displays, laptop, they are all connected to a socket strip with a switch. Hence, standby for the entire system is not an option. Secondly, any mouse movement, even an accidental one, would wake up the Macbook.

As I said, powering on the entire system via a main switch still worked with a 2018 MacBook.

Clamshell mode doesn't work properly if connected to Thunderbolt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.