Clamshell mode not working.

Hi.

I have a MBP from 2017. I can't get clamshell mode to work even though i've used before - a while ago, though. I connected the following:

• Power supply
  • External keyboard
  • External mouse
  • External monitor

The mouse, keyboard and monitor are plugged into the same USB-C hub, and the power supply is in the other thunderbolt in my mac.

I'll also mention my settings, some people suggests to try:

• "Start screensaver when inactive" --> Never
  • "Turn display off on power adapter when inactive" --> Never

Thanks in advance.

Best regards, Magnus.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Oct 10, 2023 10:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2023 7:00 PM

The USB-C hub may be the problem.

Do you get any video on the external display without Clamshell Mode?

Does the laptop's built-in Display work? If not, then it can be difficult to get video to the external display because some items may only be displayed on the internal display because Apple never considered the situation where the built-in display may not be working.

Is the laptop showing the charger is connected? Can you use the external display, keyboard, and mouse? If not, then the USB-C port or hub may be bad.

Not to be insulting, but did you close the lid of the laptop (you didn't specifically mention it in your post)?

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2023 7:00 PM in response to MagnusSchr

The USB-C hub may be the problem.

Do you get any video on the external display without Clamshell Mode?

Does the laptop's built-in Display work? If not, then it can be difficult to get video to the external display because some items may only be displayed on the internal display because Apple never considered the situation where the built-in display may not be working.

Is the laptop showing the charger is connected? Can you use the external display, keyboard, and mouse? If not, then the USB-C port or hub may be bad.

Not to be insulting, but did you close the lid of the laptop (you didn't specifically mention it in your post)?

Oct 10, 2023 11:13 PM in response to HWTech

Hello and thank You for your answer. Everything seems to work fine: the built-in display, the external monitor and also the usb-c hub, because I tried the same setup with my brother’s Mac, which works just fine, when the lid is closed. I’ve also tried another hub with same results for me - no video, when the lid is closed. All of this happens, when I close the lid on my Mac. If the lid is open, there’s video on both the built-in display and the monitor.

Thank you.

Clamshell mode not working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.