Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clamshell Mode

Hi,

I have my MacBook Pro connected to an external monitor most of the time. When plugged into power it works perfectly.

i realise that when I disconnect power the Mac will automatically go to sleep - that’s fine. When I reconnect the power supply I seem to have to open and close the display/lid to get the computer to wake up again. Is there any other way for me to get it to wake up on the external display without opening the lid?

Thanks,

Ed.

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 5:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 1:58 AM

In case anyone else is looking to the answer to this question the solution for me is cmd-F2. It doesn’t work after a reboot unless I’ve typed in my password first (I’m guessing the T2 chip is responsible), but it works every time after sleep.

Similar questions

6 replies

Dec 2, 2020 6:06 AM in response to zoomit

Actually that's now working every time. Thank you. One further question, if I may:

If I shut down the computer in clamshell mode, is it possible to start up without opening the lid? I've tried disconnecting/reconnecting the AC power, which works if the lid is already open, but this doesn't seem to work? I know I don't really need to shut down the computer - just curious if this can be achieved.

Thanks again,

Ed.

Clamshell Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.