Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does a MacBook sleep when you turn off its external monitor when in clamshell mode?

Hi,

I've been using my macbook in clamshell mode for a while now. It's always closed and I only use my external monitor to work on my macbook.

I always shut down my macbook completely at night to be sure it doesn't have its built-in display lit when I turn off my monitor. But this is a pain because I have to reach underneath the low shelf it's under and open the lid (as much as I can since there's only 3 inches of space) in order to boot my macbook.

My actual question is what happens when it's in clamshell mode and I turn off the power button of my external monitor?

I'm assuming it recognizes that the external monitor is powered off and because its lid is closed, it goes to sleep since it hasn't got any active display to work with. But I'm not sure about this because my keyboard and mouse rgb are still lit. (even though I'm aware that macbooks do provide power to peripherals when sleeping)

So can anyone confirm that when I switch off my monitor, my macbook actually goes to sleep (or at least it should)?

Thanks for your help!

Posted on Jul 15, 2021 3:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2021 3:35 PM

Ah ... like checking the refrigerator light.... I believe my MacBook does sleep once the external monitor is powered down, likely after some time that I set. Don't know that I would know.

But, you can schedule your computer to wake up automatically, without raising the lid. You could set it to wake at say 6 am.

Try reviewing the information at https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/set-sleep-and-wake-settings-mchle41a6ccd/mac

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2021 3:35 PM in response to Stassie1

Ah ... like checking the refrigerator light.... I believe my MacBook does sleep once the external monitor is powered down, likely after some time that I set. Don't know that I would know.

But, you can schedule your computer to wake up automatically, without raising the lid. You could set it to wake at say 6 am.

Try reviewing the information at https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/set-sleep-and-wake-settings-mchle41a6ccd/mac

Does a MacBook sleep when you turn off its external monitor when in clamshell mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.