Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't disable clamshell mode

I have a Macbook that I connected it to the computer and projector in an eclassroom. I thought I had set my laptop to mirror, but I think I accidentally set my laptop to be the external monitor. Now it won't turn on at all unless:

1. it is connected to a the computer in the eclassroom (or probably any external monitor, but not sure; I'm using USBc to HDMI)
    2. my laptop is plugged in, even though I can see that it's fully charged.

Even then, I am required to use an external mouse and keyboard plugged into my laptop. My laptop screen stays black, but then I can use the external mouse and keyboard, and the screen projected to the external monitor to do stuff.

I have done some digging, and I am pretty sure that it's in Clamshell mode. The interwebz tell me that I can disable clamshell mode by going into Settings > Display > Arrange > untick mirroring. But I don't have those options. The options in Settings > Display (no arrange, no mirroring tick box - see below), and under the menu bar "Use as separate display" is checked, but I can't uncheck it (not shown).

Please help!

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 10:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 4:56 PM

The USB-C Macs tend to have some very odd behaviors especially when powering on.

Did you remove the adapter/cable for the external projector/display.

You can try using the key combination Command + F1 to toggle Mirroring on and off. Unfortunately this only works once logged into a macOS user account (it used to be possible to use this toggle on the Login screen years ago). If your login screen shows user accounts, then you can log in blindly by typing the first character of the user name and pressing the "Return" key, then enter the password and press the "Return" key to submit the password.

If this is an Intel Mac, then you can also try a PRAM Reset (hold for at least two chimes).

You can also try changing the Display settings before disconnecting the projector/external display.

What is the exact model of this laptop and version of macOS? You can get this information by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac".

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2022 4:56 PM in response to macmommy2

The USB-C Macs tend to have some very odd behaviors especially when powering on.

Did you remove the adapter/cable for the external projector/display.

You can try using the key combination Command + F1 to toggle Mirroring on and off. Unfortunately this only works once logged into a macOS user account (it used to be possible to use this toggle on the Login screen years ago). If your login screen shows user accounts, then you can log in blindly by typing the first character of the user name and pressing the "Return" key, then enter the password and press the "Return" key to submit the password.

If this is an Intel Mac, then you can also try a PRAM Reset (hold for at least two chimes).

You can also try changing the Display settings before disconnecting the projector/external display.

What is the exact model of this laptop and version of macOS? You can get this information by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac".

Can't disable clamshell mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.