Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Display keeps turning on and off while using M1 MacBook Air in clamshell mode

I am using my m1 macbook air in clamshell mode and the display turns on and off every couple of minutes. I use a usb c dongle and connect my mouse and keyboard, ethernet cable, hdmi cable, speakers, and charging cable to it. Until recently it worked fine, but I got a usb c extension cable (one end is male and other is female) in order to hide the mess of cables under my desk but since then, the display has been having problems. It is not a consistent problem, sometimes it will be fine for an hour or two. Other times it turns on and off every other minute. Not sure if it is the cable or maybe because I have so many things connected to the usb c dongle, but would really appreciate any help. Thanks!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 5, 2021 6:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2021 12:28 PM

Hi jeremias-,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help today with your MacBook Air and connecting to an external monitor with a hub.

Does the display turn off when the MacBook Air is open?

If you remove the new extension cable, does the issue resolve itself?

Are you able to test another hub or extension cable?

Does it happen inside a new user account? Here's how to make one: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. This can further isolate the issue to your user or system-wide.

Let us know.

Have a fantastic day!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2021 12:28 PM in response to jeremias-

Hi jeremias-,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help today with your MacBook Air and connecting to an external monitor with a hub.

Does the display turn off when the MacBook Air is open?

If you remove the new extension cable, does the issue resolve itself?

Are you able to test another hub or extension cable?

Does it happen inside a new user account? Here's how to make one: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. This can further isolate the issue to your user or system-wide.

Let us know.

Have a fantastic day!

Display keeps turning on and off while using M1 MacBook Air in clamshell mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.