Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air M1 2021 Issue

Hi, I have an issue with the display on my M1 MacBook Air. When I close the lid on my MacBook and leave it set for an extended period of time, then go to open it up again, when I do so, the screen will be super dim. This can be resolved by changing the brightness of the display by one notch. so it's not a major problem but still a minor annoyance. I am currently running with release of MacOS 11.5 Big Sur.

The brightness is full with "Truer Tone" and "Automatically adjust brightness" unchecked and happens whether the machine is connected to AC or not.

Is this a bug?

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jul 29, 2021 5:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2021 8:57 PM

It is definitely not a bug because if it were then nearly everyone using macOS 11.5 would have been experiencing the same. I have the M1 MacBook Air and I am using macOS Big Sur and I do not have the issue that you mention. Does it make a difference if you had "Automatic Brightness Adjustment" set to ON along with "Slightly dim the display while on battery power" set to ON?

If none of the above make a difference then try putting the MacBook Air to Sleep without any apps running. Close all of the apps and then put it to sleep. If that resolves the issue then begin putting it to sleep with one app and then two apps and three and so on until you identify the app that may be contributing to the issue.

Axel F.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2021 8:57 PM in response to Ricci_1814

It is definitely not a bug because if it were then nearly everyone using macOS 11.5 would have been experiencing the same. I have the M1 MacBook Air and I am using macOS Big Sur and I do not have the issue that you mention. Does it make a difference if you had "Automatic Brightness Adjustment" set to ON along with "Slightly dim the display while on battery power" set to ON?

If none of the above make a difference then try putting the MacBook Air to Sleep without any apps running. Close all of the apps and then put it to sleep. If that resolves the issue then begin putting it to sleep with one app and then two apps and three and so on until you identify the app that may be contributing to the issue.

Axel F.

MacBook Air M1 2021 Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.