Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time capsule

I recently purchased a WD 8TB external drive to plug into my Time Capsule and use as a dual Time Machine backup for my iMac and my wife's MacBook Pro. I partitioned the drive into 2 parts, one for the Time Machine backups, and the other for general storage backup. For my first back-up, I plugged the external drive directly into my iMac in order to quickly back up the 1TB of data. Afterwards, I plugged the external drive directly into the Time Capsule so my wife could also use it wirelessly to back up. The next day I noticed that my iMac was backing up the whole 1TB of information again on the external drive even though I had picked the same drive to backup to in the Time Machine settings. Why would it not recognize my computer as the one it had backed up the day before??? I appreciate any help on this.

Posted on Jul 29, 2019 11:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2019 12:38 PM

When you plugged the drive directly into your Mac, the drive behaved as if it were a "local" drive. The Time Capsule hard drive and any drive connected to the USB port on the device are "network" drives. Big difference.

Time Machine backups up differently to a "local" drive than it does to a "network" drive. The two types of backups are not interchangeable, so that would explain why Time Machine started a new backup when you changed the location of your WD drive from a "local" connection......connected directly to a Mac.....to a "network"location.

When Time Machine backs up to a "local" drive connected directly to your Mac, the Time Machine backups are all kept in a normal looking folder called Backups.backupdb.

When Time Machine backs up to a drive over a "network" location, all of the files are stored in a special type of container called a sparsebundle file. As we mentioned previously, these two types of files are not interchangeable.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2019 12:38 PM in response to RandyM1972

When you plugged the drive directly into your Mac, the drive behaved as if it were a "local" drive. The Time Capsule hard drive and any drive connected to the USB port on the device are "network" drives. Big difference.

Time Machine backups up differently to a "local" drive than it does to a "network" drive. The two types of backups are not interchangeable, so that would explain why Time Machine started a new backup when you changed the location of your WD drive from a "local" connection......connected directly to a Mac.....to a "network"location.

When Time Machine backs up to a "local" drive connected directly to your Mac, the Time Machine backups are all kept in a normal looking folder called Backups.backupdb.

When Time Machine backs up to a drive over a "network" location, all of the files are stored in a special type of container called a sparsebundle file. As we mentioned previously, these two types of files are not interchangeable.

time capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.