Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Back up external drive with Time Machine

I am trying to back up an external drive using Time Machine but the drive appears greyed out in the exclusion window. Time Machine would allow me to use the drive as a Time Capsule for the backup of my HD so it appears it recognizes it to use as the Time Capsule but doesn't recognize it to back up (greyed out). After backing up my hard drive (Mac Book Pro) I entered the Time Machine back up and it did not back up the external drive. Suggestions?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 12, 2020 9:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2020 12:55 PM

Drive needs to be formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) if you want Time Machine to back it up. That's why the drive is grayed out.

Earlier, I had understood that you already had Time Machine backups on the drive....and Time Machine won't back up that type of drive either.

If you want Time Machine to back up the external, you will need to move all of the data on the drive to another drive, then format the external and move the data back onto the external. Check with Lightroom support before you do this though.....to make sure that the image library is compatible with the Mac drive format.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2020 12:55 PM in response to JBP

Drive needs to be formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) if you want Time Machine to back it up. That's why the drive is grayed out.

Earlier, I had understood that you already had Time Machine backups on the drive....and Time Machine won't back up that type of drive either.

If you want Time Machine to back up the external, you will need to move all of the data on the drive to another drive, then format the external and move the data back onto the external. Check with Lightroom support before you do this though.....to make sure that the image library is compatible with the Mac drive format.

Jul 12, 2020 9:29 AM in response to JBP

Does the external drive have previous Time Machine backups on the disk? If it does, Time Machine is not going to back up a drive that already has Time Machine backups on the disk.

In the example below, you can see that the drive named MBP TM, which contains Time Machine backups from my MacBook Pro is grayed out and not available to be backed up by Time Machine again when the drive is connected to my MacBook Pro.

Another way to say the same thing.......you don't want to back up a backup. You want to back up the "original" data.

For example, if you were making a copy of a document on a copy machine, you would not want to copy a copy, you would want to copy the "original" document.

Make sense?

Jul 12, 2020 12:21 PM in response to JBP

I have a feeling that when you first connected the hard drive to your Mac, that Time Machine asked if you wanted to use the drive for backups, but you declined.

If you had accepted, Time Machine would have reformatted the drive from its current format, which was likely a Windows format that a Mac can read, but Time Machine can't.

We'll know more when you check the drive Format and Permissions.

Back up external drive with Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.