Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a lot of popups after I clicked on a seemingly normal request to update

I have a lot of popups after I clicked on a seemingly normal adobe request to update.

[Re-Titled by Host]

Posted on Jul 29, 2019 12:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2019 1:23 PM

Adobe Flash downloads are known offenders. Never download it because some pop-up told you to. Always download updates from Official Adobe Website or from System Preferences > Flash Player > Check for updates.

Download and run Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes was developed by one of our own colleagues here in ASC and is about the most proven anti-malware software for Mac.

Almost all websites now use HTML 5 which obviates the need for Flash. You probably do not need it. If not then uninstall it.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2019 1:23 PM in response to rharvin7

Adobe Flash downloads are known offenders. Never download it because some pop-up told you to. Always download updates from Official Adobe Website or from System Preferences > Flash Player > Check for updates.

Download and run Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes was developed by one of our own colleagues here in ASC and is about the most proven anti-malware software for Mac.

Almost all websites now use HTML 5 which obviates the need for Flash. You probably do not need it. If not then uninstall it.

Jul 29, 2019 1:26 PM in response to mvan231

mvan231 wrote:

You likely have some odd malware now on your device. You can clean it with Anti Malware or by deleting your internet cache

Not necessarily, it may have installed an extension or even an application. The malware hides in the installer package and fools the user into authenticating, thinking that they are giving permission for a valid update to install.

I have a lot of popups after I clicked on a seemingly normal request to update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.