Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone "Set up new device" wifi section...

How can I turn this off? I recently bought a GE AC control unit that has built in wifi but GE uses their own app to setup their devices, like most companies do. I need to connect to the wifi signal the controller puts out to continue the setup process, similar to Google Chromes. With this new device section, I cannot do that because the setup new device section bypasses the app completely and connects it to the wifi but the app doesn't register it because it didn't happen in the way the app needs it to connect. How can I bypass Apple's extremely annoying and inconvenient setup process?

Posted on Jul 29, 2019 3:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2019 12:24 PM

Hi Erik,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. I see no one has responded to your post yet. To assist the community in replying, you might consider providing more information about what you’re experiencing. Including the following details in your post may be helpful:

1. Where are you seeing the "Set up new device" message?
  2. What steps are you taking to get to this message?
  3. Has the iPhone already been setup for use and the GE Appliances Comfort app installed?

The more information you provide, the better chance the community will be able to offer some additional guidance.

Have a great day!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2019 12:24 PM in response to ErikFromOH

Hi Erik,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. I see no one has responded to your post yet. To assist the community in replying, you might consider providing more information about what you’re experiencing. Including the following details in your post may be helpful:

1. Where are you seeing the "Set up new device" message?
  2. What steps are you taking to get to this message?
  3. Has the iPhone already been setup for use and the GE Appliances Comfort app installed?

The more information you provide, the better chance the community will be able to offer some additional guidance.

Have a great day!

Jul 30, 2019 12:38 PM in response to Demo

Actually, it is Apple’s. This happens in the WiFi section in the phone’s settings. It will not allow a connection to the device through WiFi. It only sees it as a smart device that needs connected to the internet and it bypasses the app’s setup process, so in fact, it is Apple’s problem. Android has the same feature, the ability to connect smart devices to the internet without the need of an app but unlike Apple, Android has the ability to turn off this feature for instances like this.

Jul 30, 2019 12:42 PM in response to CarlAVII

The “Setup New Devices” pops up in the WiFi settings of the phone itself. It appears at the very bottom of the WiFi settings menu.

Whenever I open the WiFi settings of the phone, the controller appears but only as a smart device and the phone will not allow a connection to it, only as a means to connect the device to the internet.

The comfort app has been installed and the process cannot be complete because of this oversight on the part of Apple. If I had the ability to turn of this function of setting up smart devices outside their respective apps, I wouldn’t have this problem.

Jul 31, 2019 8:06 AM in response to ErikFromOH

Hi Erik,

Thanks for sending the screenshots. If I understand correctly, you're currently on step 4 under the 'Connect Your Wi-Fi Connect Air Conditioner' section here:

Air Conditioner - Set-Up Built-In WiFi Connect

Since the iPhone itself can connect to Wi-Fi, and the issue appears to be isolated to the air conditioner, I suggest following the advice towards the bottom of that support page:

"If you have difficulty Connecting your air conditioner: Air Conditioner Built-In WiFi Connect - Set-Up Troubleshooting

For further assistance, call the GE Appliances Connected Home Support Line at 1-800-220-6899, Monday -Friday 9am - 11pm ET, Saturday - Sunday 9am - 3pm ET, or email connected@help.geappliances.com."

Take care.

iPhone "Set up new device" wifi section...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.