Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replace iPod touch battery but maintain files?

I lost my iPod touch for several months and now that I have found it it will not charge. I have tried many of the tricks online and have come to the conclusion that the lithium battery is dead. My iPod had many photos of relatives and a dear pet that have since passed away so I really want to fix it.in the past when it was working, it would say that the cloud was updated but when I tried to log into on my pc to recover my files it showed that I had none and that I never uploaded any ( I didn't understand the cloud at the time ugh) I read that taking it to the apple store to be fixed would also replace the mother board and lose the files. I dont mind shelling out the cash but I would really like a way to fix this without losing any of my data!! Does anyone have any ideas?

Posted on Jul 30, 2019 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2019 8:42 PM

I believe the battery can be replaced without touching the flash storage drive.

The battery location is just like in an iPhone.

It is the first thing you see when you open up the device.

The issue is whether Apple Stores replace batteries in an iPod Touch or simply replace the device to expedite customer service.

If the latter, you will end up losing the data, anyways.

The only way to know for sure is to take your iPod Touch into your nearest, “local” Apple Store for diagnosis, evaluation and potential options presented to you.

At this time and situation, whatever the outcome is, it is what it is.

Try leaving the iPod Touch charging for 24 hours, or so, to see what happens.

Best of Luck.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2019 8:42 PM in response to Blusmith

I believe the battery can be replaced without touching the flash storage drive.

The battery location is just like in an iPhone.

It is the first thing you see when you open up the device.

The issue is whether Apple Stores replace batteries in an iPod Touch or simply replace the device to expedite customer service.

If the latter, you will end up losing the data, anyways.

The only way to know for sure is to take your iPod Touch into your nearest, “local” Apple Store for diagnosis, evaluation and potential options presented to you.

At this time and situation, whatever the outcome is, it is what it is.

Try leaving the iPod Touch charging for 24 hours, or so, to see what happens.

Best of Luck.

Jul 30, 2019 5:50 PM in response to Blusmith

What model iPod Touch is it?

Since the battery has only been sitting around flat for a few months and not years, you could try leaving it on the charger for, at least 24 hours or so to see if the Li-ion battery springs back to life.

If it does, you CAN attempt to recover/backup the data to the computer, then.

If no joy,

If the battery has been flat/dead this period of time, there maybe no way you are ever going to get that iPod Touch to come alive again to get to that data, ever again, and is, for all intents and purposes, gone and gone for good.

Very Sorry.

An out-of-warranty battery replacement for an iPod Touch is $79 U.S.D..

Best of Luck to You!

Replace iPod touch battery but maintain files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.