Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Security Threats Question

Hello,

I am a bit paranoid and always worry about iPhones and the ability for someone to gain access to my family's phone and iPad cameras without us knowing. Have there been any security weaknesses that allow attackers to gain access to camera phones that would allow them to spy on the phone and iPad users without them knowing something was going on?

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Jul 30, 2019 11:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2019 6:16 PM

What about apps that you allow access to the camera or microphone? I was reading the article below and it freaked me out a bit.

https://thehackernews.com/2017/10/iPhone-camera-spying.html

For some reason the link doesn’t work in a phone, but it works on my computer.

5 replies

Jul 30, 2019 6:24 PM in response to AnxietyMan

Again... if you have not jailbroken your phone, those apps, if acquired through Apple's app store, can't spy on you.

iOS is a very secure operating system if you don't alter it.

If you look hard enough, you will find all kinds of information online.

I don't know what to offer if you are doubtful. Get a flipphone and be the most secure.

Jul 30, 2019 6:28 PM in response to LACAllen

Thank you for the response. My families phones are not jail broken and all the apps came from the apple App Store, so that is reassuring. I read article like the one I shared, and I’ve read other articles saying similar things to what you’ve said. It hard to know what to believe, that is why I came into the apple support site to ask. Thanks again for your response.

Security Threats Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.