Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook air 2018 external drive usb 3.0 - slower ?

Hello there, attached a Western Digital Usb 3.0 drive from a previous MacBook Pro to the new MacBook Air 2018 (for Time Machine Backup and Restore and migration ), its a fairly new drive, roughly 2 years old and USB 3.0 has Been blazingly fast previously, however now on the 2018 MacBook Air its much slower doing "preparing backups" and time machine backups, anyone know whats changed with the Air and External 3.0 Usb drives? Same drive, different MacBooks - much slower results :/

Any tips appreciated

and yes -- same cable

Posted on Jul 31, 2019 1:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2019 10:08 AM

Have you tried running an actual drive throughput speed test ... and not just use Time Machine as your "speed" measurement?

If not, I suggest that you try using either AJA's System Test LIte or Blackmagicdesign's Disk Speed Test to find out the WD drive's throughput performance.

The theoretical top bandwidth for USB 3.0 is 5.0 Gbps (625 MBps). Actual throughput will be lower, especially with HDDs.

FWIW, I have a WD My Book Pro connected directly to 2018 Mac mini using a Thunderbolt 3-to-Thunderbolt 2 adapter. Thunderbolt 2 has a theoretical top bandwidth of 20 Gbps, yet I only get around 350 MBps with this drive. This reduction is due to a number of factors, that include the drive's themselves. The My Book Pro uses HDDs, not SSDs.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2019 10:08 AM in response to null null416

Have you tried running an actual drive throughput speed test ... and not just use Time Machine as your "speed" measurement?

If not, I suggest that you try using either AJA's System Test LIte or Blackmagicdesign's Disk Speed Test to find out the WD drive's throughput performance.

The theoretical top bandwidth for USB 3.0 is 5.0 Gbps (625 MBps). Actual throughput will be lower, especially with HDDs.

FWIW, I have a WD My Book Pro connected directly to 2018 Mac mini using a Thunderbolt 3-to-Thunderbolt 2 adapter. Thunderbolt 2 has a theoretical top bandwidth of 20 Gbps, yet I only get around 350 MBps with this drive. This reduction is due to a number of factors, that include the drive's themselves. The My Book Pro uses HDDs, not SSDs.

Jul 31, 2019 4:41 PM in response to null null416

Please do post back your results as I'm curious about the results you will get. Do you still have the old MBA that you can run these tests on as well? If so, it would also be interesting to see if the test results match your observations.

The 2018 MacBook Air has two Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports. What type of cable/adapter are you using to connect the external drive? ... and what exact model is your WD drive?

macbook air 2018 external drive usb 3.0 - slower ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.