Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External hard drive faster than external SSD Drive

Hello

I've been transferring a few video files about recently.

I've got a couple of external drives connected. One is a Samsung SSD Drive in an enclosure. The other is a WD hard drive.

The SSD Drive is connected via USB C to my MacMini 2018 model.

The hard drive connects through a multi port USB connector. USB 3 to the connector and then USB 3 from the connector to the MacMini.

I'd have thought the SSD would have been far faster. But, the hard drive transfers at double the speed (of the SSD).

Any ideas as to why? Could it be the SSD hard drive enclosure? Or other?

Regards

Suhayl

Posted on Dec 22, 2020 5:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2020 11:32 AM

I think I'll bring the thread to end (there doesn't seem to be much interest).

I tried different cable options. Nothing improved the speed.

I did a speed test and discovered that all the mechanical hard drives were faster than the SSD Drive.

I've learnt quite a lot. I've realised that just because it's an SSD connected via what you think is the fastest port, doesn't mean that it's going to be faster than a spinning disk connected via USB3. Perhaps, that's just the marketing at work. Sure, inside the computer, SSDs definitely better. But not always as an external drive.

I'll almost definitely move my Final Cut Pro Projects / parallels over to the hard drive or find another SSD that claims to be faster than any of my hard drives (but, definitely I'll buy form a reputable shop so I can return it).

Hope this helps someone.

Suhayl

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 24, 2020 11:32 AM in response to suhayl8

I think I'll bring the thread to end (there doesn't seem to be much interest).

I tried different cable options. Nothing improved the speed.

I did a speed test and discovered that all the mechanical hard drives were faster than the SSD Drive.

I've learnt quite a lot. I've realised that just because it's an SSD connected via what you think is the fastest port, doesn't mean that it's going to be faster than a spinning disk connected via USB3. Perhaps, that's just the marketing at work. Sure, inside the computer, SSDs definitely better. But not always as an external drive.

I'll almost definitely move my Final Cut Pro Projects / parallels over to the hard drive or find another SSD that claims to be faster than any of my hard drives (but, definitely I'll buy form a reputable shop so I can return it).

Hope this helps someone.

Suhayl

Dec 22, 2020 5:35 AM in response to suhayl8

Thought I'd add a bit more info:

The enclosure for the SSD drive claims it can transfer at speeds up to 6Gbps.

The WD Drive is just a regular hard drive. No frills at all.

I did a real World test: It took 17 seconds longer to transfer a GiG of data to the SSD rather than the hard drive. It took the hard drive 9 seconds. It took the SSD Drive 26 seconds.

It an issue because I've got my Photo library and Final Cut Pro Projects on the SSD.

Thinking...maybe...I should move them over to the hard drive.

What do you think?

Dec 23, 2020 1:16 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hi

Thanks for your suggestion

It is connected via USB C directly to the MacMini. I thought it could be the USB C wire, so I swapped that out - still the same.

However, I did another test and found out that whilst the transfer time of a 1 gig file takes way of double that for the SSD from MacMini; the other way around (SSD to MacMini) takes half the time of the hard drive.

Anyway, I'm going to try and find a USB C to USB3 wire now and runs the test again.

Thanks for your help

Suhayl

Dec 24, 2020 12:02 PM in response to suhayl8

suhayl8 wrote:

Hi

It's a USB C Enclosure. It connects to the MacMini's USB C port.

Is USB C faster or slower than USB3?

Regards

Suhayl

To make one thing clear, USB-C is a connector specification

and has nothing to do with which flavor of USB is used on it

(USB 3.0, USB 3.1 Gen 1, USB 3.1 Gen 2, USB 3.2, etc.) and the

same "connector" can be used for Thunderbolt 3 or Thunderbolt 4,

or even as just a charging cable with no data capabilities.

To many companies are tossing around USB-C in often deceptive ways.

Dec 24, 2020 12:14 PM in response to woodmeister50

That's so true. The whole USB thing is a complete mess. It's really hard for a person who just uses a computer for productivity purposes, what all the different cables, colours and standards are. I used to think, you just connect a cable which fits the slot and away you go. I recently discovered, there's even a purple USB cable which signifies that it will keep the power on. How are ordinary folk going to know this?! I've learnt that you should use the cable that the product came with from the manufacturer. But, that isn't always possible - especially if you buy a laptop with just a USB C port on it. How'd you know that you external whatever, is going to work at is max efficiency? I thought, plug in an SSD Drive via USB C to the MacMini USB C port and it would be lightning fast. Turns out it's a bit sluggish. So, I'm with you there. I think there should just be a couple of different USBs and all the cables are compliant to the same standard. Dream on, I suppose.

External hard drive faster than external SSD Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.