Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you trade in an iPhone with a cracked screen?

Last night I cracked/scratched the bottom corner of my phone. It is a surface crack and not near the button but it is still a crack. My phone just recently went out of warranty in March so I would have to pay the $169 to get the screen repaired. I was looking to trade it in soon and I have an IPhone 7 Plus. Will this hurt the value of the phone so much that it is worth paying the $169 to get the screen fixed? Or should I turn it in like is and take the turn in value deduction?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Jul 31, 2019 5:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2019 8:30 AM

Some phones still have a resale value even with damage but that is usually a much newer model and depends on the extent of the damage. Apple began accepting trade-in of damaged devices over two years ago. On a iPhone 7 Plus it would steeply reduct the price or reduce it to where they will just recycle it.

Only Apple representatives can tell you what your iPhone is now worth (if anything).

According to Apple Trade In - Apple the most they will offer you, assuming the phone turns on and the buttons work, is $25 USD.

If you replace the screen the most you could receive is $210.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2019 8:30 AM in response to lbrooks13

Some phones still have a resale value even with damage but that is usually a much newer model and depends on the extent of the damage. Apple began accepting trade-in of damaged devices over two years ago. On a iPhone 7 Plus it would steeply reduct the price or reduce it to where they will just recycle it.

Only Apple representatives can tell you what your iPhone is now worth (if anything).

According to Apple Trade In - Apple the most they will offer you, assuming the phone turns on and the buttons work, is $25 USD.

If you replace the screen the most you could receive is $210.

Jul 31, 2019 9:21 AM in response to deggie

There might be people willing to buy one with a minor crack if it's working. However, Apple considers that to be something that basically deducts the value of the screen repair from the trade in value. I actually have a tiny chip in the glass of my iPhone 7. Otherwise it works perfectly. But that means the trade-in value for Apple goes from $140 to 0. I'm not complaining.

Really though, Apple trade-in is generally a poor deal, but anyone is free to use it.

Jul 31, 2019 9:26 AM in response to y_p_w

The OP doesn't have an iPhone 7, they have a 7 Plus and it takes the value to $25 USD. And we aren't talking about yours or whether it is a "poor" deal. Yes, you can sometimes sell it privately for more but that means the person has to learn about what to do before they sell it, where to list it, meet the person at a safe place to sell it, etc. So how much $ is the persons time worth? For many it is much easier and economical to just trade it in to Apple (really their partner Brightstar in the US), Gazelle, or one of the other companies that buy used electronics. Just like any other business there is some variation in what they pay but it really isn't a lot different between all of them overall.

Can you trade in an iPhone with a cracked screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.