Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant Cloned my user

Im not sure what happened. I have 3 Mac Pro towers all networked to each other. I used Migration Assistant to basically clone my new mac to my old mac. Everything worked perfect however after quitting the migration, the two computer mimics each other. For example, if I take a screen shot on either Mac, the screen shot appears on both desk tops (new and old mac).

Do I have to delete the cloned user on the new mac? and just create a new user? I would really prefer not to because there are dozens of preferences associated with that user.

Thank you in advance. I can't wait to use my new computer!!

Mac Pro

Posted on Jul 31, 2019 11:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2019 1:23 AM

It sounds like Desktop & Documents in iCloud Drive is enabled. Your Desktop and Documents folders are sync'd in iCloud Drive.

2 replies

Aug 1, 2019 8:52 PM in response to KidVid

Thank you Barney!  I think this fixed the permissions user issue that was going on.  I unchecked the corresponding box on both computers. 

Note to anyone else doing this.  Make sure you have backed up both Desktops because this process will delate your desktop and document folders.  

I don’t think the permission issue I am facing now is related but I am not able to transfer a file out of computer A to computer B.  However, I can use computer B and grab that file and transfer into it.

I have selected “read write” for each drive.

I have resolved most of the other permission issues that resulted from the Migration Assistant.

Could there have been a setting I missed?  

Migration Assistant Cloned my user

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.