Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration assistant questions

I am readying to transfer contents on a 2012 MacBook Pro (10.12.6) to newer one (10.14.5). The machines presently have the same user name. The whole overwrite/two users instructions on Apple are very confusing. When I get to the part of the migration set-up where I need to overwrite or replace, which option will make my new computer most similar in organization to the new one, such that I can avoid moving between users. Said another: I seek a very fluid, seamless transition. AND, can I use a USB to USB-C cord to transfer? Wifi will take forever, I reckon.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 6:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 8:07 PM

The machines presently have the same user name.

How to move your content to a new Mac describes what happens:

"... If you transfer an account that has the same name as an account on your new Mac, you're asked to rename the old account or replace the one on your new Mac. If you rename, the old account appears as a separate user on your new Mac, with a separate home folder and login. If you replace, the old account overwrites the account on your new Mac, including everything in its home folder."

In other words if both your Macs have a User Account named John you will need to reconcile that before Migration Assistant will continue. If you want to keep the existing User Account, then Migration Assistant will create a new User Account named "John (2)" or something like it.

Otherwise, it gets overwritten.

The Wifi will take forever, I reckon.

Not necessarily. It depends on one's particular wireless environment. Migration Assistant involves a lot of "overhead" and takes a long time regardless of the connection method. Wired obviates the vagaries of wireless communication though. It's up to you to determine if it's worth the inconvenience of finding appropriate cables and adapters.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2020 8:07 PM in response to Paloli

The machines presently have the same user name.

How to move your content to a new Mac describes what happens:

"... If you transfer an account that has the same name as an account on your new Mac, you're asked to rename the old account or replace the one on your new Mac. If you rename, the old account appears as a separate user on your new Mac, with a separate home folder and login. If you replace, the old account overwrites the account on your new Mac, including everything in its home folder."

In other words if both your Macs have a User Account named John you will need to reconcile that before Migration Assistant will continue. If you want to keep the existing User Account, then Migration Assistant will create a new User Account named "John (2)" or something like it.

Otherwise, it gets overwritten.

The Wifi will take forever, I reckon.

Not necessarily. It depends on one's particular wireless environment. Migration Assistant involves a lot of "overhead" and takes a long time regardless of the connection method. Wired obviates the vagaries of wireless communication though. It's up to you to determine if it's worth the inconvenience of finding appropriate cables and adapters.

Aug 19, 2020 9:15 PM in response to Paloli

No... and if you must prematurely terminate the migration for whatever reason, that partially migrated User Account is likely to have been corrupted. That's why it's a good idea not to overwrite an existing Account. If you have the disk space, creating a redundant User Account with a name you don't want to keep is the more prudent option. Its name can be corrected later.

Migration assistant questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.