Moving user info from 1 macbook to another

Going to combine 2 macbooks into one with two separate users. I've used migration assistant when transferring a whole device, but not to another that already has a user. So my questions:

Will using migration assist to move all of MB#1 to USER#2 on MB#2 affect the stuff on MB#2 for USER#1?

MB#1 has an older OS than MB#2-will that be a problem?

TIA.

MacBook Air, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jun 2, 2023 5:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2023 10:45 AM

DJMc wrote:

Will using migration assist to move all of MB#1 to USER#2 on MB#2 affect the stuff on MB#2 for USER#1?

If the user account names are identical, then you will be given the option to delete the existing MB#2 USER#1 account or have the migrated account renamed so it does not conflict with the existing account.

How old? If the MB#1 has an extremely old OS, then it may be a problem since I'm not sure what the Migration Assistant requirements are. I don't see any restrictions in this Apple article:

Transfer to a new Mac with Migration Assistant - Apple Support

Transfer your information to Mac from another computer or device - Ventura - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2023 10:45 AM in response to DJMc

DJMc wrote:

If the user account names are identical, then you will be given the option to delete the existing MB#2 USER#1 account or have the migrated account renamed so it does not conflict with the existing account.

How old? If the MB#1 has an extremely old OS, then it may be a problem since I'm not sure what the Migration Assistant requirements are. I don't see any restrictions in this Apple article:

Transfer to a new Mac with Migration Assistant - Apple Support

Transfer your information to Mac from another computer or device - Ventura - Apple Support

Jun 2, 2023 4:28 PM in response to DJMc

Normally it won't cause any problems.

Make sure to have a good backup on the new Mac before you do anything, just in case something goes wrong.

You should always have frequent and regular backups of your computer and all external media (including the cloud) which includes important & unique data. There are a lot of new ways to permanently lose access to your data on the 2018+ Macs due to all the extra security features.

Moving user info from 1 macbook to another

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.